Views
Helpful
Replies

New Apple Ipads and 1141 Series AP's

davidfield
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All,

I tagged onto another discussion thread with some questions but thought it best to start a new thread and not hijak another community members posting.

I've recently come up against a series of problems with stability of connection and roaming with the Apple IPad mini's and latest round of IPads.  In summary I have 2 issues occuring

- high number of disconnects with eventually the Ipads refusing to re-associate until you forget/re-initiate connection to the SSID

- Poor roaming where the Ipads will roam from AP to AP and then decide to give up roaming andd drop the connection.  Resulting in

forget/re-initiate connection to the SSID.

I'm going around in circles and was hoping the group may be able to review my config and see if there is anything I'm missiing or misconfigured that may help improve the reliability.

I should highlight interference appears to be a big factor now and have found they are improved when reducing co-channel interference. That said I don't have a lot of control over this as we have buildings shared with other companies with large wifi networks above and below.  I should also mention I don't have the luxury of a WLC or 5ghz and have to make do with my standalone 1141n AP's (circa 5 at one site and 12 at another) and Apple IPads are a necessary part of our business.

I have setup the AP's as 2 WDS Radius servers and the rest of the AP's as clients.  1 SSID and set the channels to least congested 1, 6, 11. I've checked AP overlap which is circa -67dbm and noise floor is not too bad.  Older IPads on earlier OS seem ok.

I've had a good read of this PDF but struggling to apply as most is related to WLC

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/vowlan/bestpractices/EntBP-AppMobDevs-on-Wlans.pdf

Some questions someone may be able to assist with

- I read that the new ipads can utilise Cisco clientlink 2.0. Has anyone implemented this in a standalone autonomous model?

- Can someone review my config for 802.11n compliance? I don't feel I'm getting the full capacity throughput as when I do a spectrum scan I dont; see the spectrum N spread.

WDS Radius Server Master AP and Slave configs attached (note passkeys etc.. redacted - WDS is working and clients do associate ok just in case you notice the number of xxxxxxx don't match)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Ideally I'd like to help form the basis of an Apple ready standalone config for people to use.

Kindest Regards

David

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some questions someone may be able to assist with

- I read that the new ipads can utilise Cisco clientlink 2.0. Has anyone implemented this in a standalone autonomous model?

> ClientLink is not available on autonmous AP's

- Can someone review my config for 802.11n compliance? I don't feel I'm getting the full capacity throughput as when I do a spectrum scan I dont; see the spectrum N spread.

> When you are using WPA, then you need to use TKIP.  On your other SSID that is using WPA2, you need to just define aes-ccm.  802.11n will only work with open ssid or wpa2/aes

dot11 ssid ABCD

vlan 9

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

mbssid guest-mode

wpa-psk ascii 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

!

interface Dot11Radio1

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption vlan 9 mode ciphers aes-ccm

!

dot11 ssid SITE

vlan 1

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa

guest-mode

mbssid guest-mode

wpa-psk ascii 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption vlan 1 mode ciphers tkip

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott for your rapid response.  Especially for the ClientLink info in relation to the Standalone AP's

In my config I think I had complied to your recommendation of AES for WPA2 and tkip for WPA so I think I'm good there.

Do you have any feedback or potential config elements I am missing that may help or additional reading I should be looking at?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card