Views
Helpful
Replies

No connection to WLC after VPN connection was lost

MarcP829
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Community,

I´ve got a problem which is freaking me out...

We have got several sites with Meraki "Routers" (MX65) and connected to them Cisco APs (AIR-LAP1131G-E-K9 / AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9)

The MX´s have got a IPSec Tunnel to a Fortigate 1000D Firewall (providet by external).

Always, when they do maintenance at the Fortigate FW and the Cluster does not work correctly, the site loose their VPN connection. Followed by this, the AP´s are not able to get back its connection to the Flex 5000 WLC...

The only way to solve this problem is to manually reboot the AP´s, but this would mean much trouble for the stuff on site. Or to reboot all MX´s (already have a script which is doing this for me, but its still annoying).

Has anyone had this problem or knows how to avoid this?

5 Replies 5

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
That is weird. Normally, if an AP looses the connection to the WLC, it will start to reboot by itself after some minutes and continue to do so, until the WLC connection is restored.
Check here for more info about the timers: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/97452 Maybe you have changed one of those or want to change one.

Thanks for your reply!

Found this now as well:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCva49651/?rfs=iqvred

Seems like I can´t fix it regarding to the old AP´s and we have the newest possible SW-Realease on the WLC... 8.0.152.0

It should actually be fixed in 8.0.140.0 and newer.
Anyway, check the timers, maybe you can enforce the reboot by lowering them.

@patoberli,Which timers do you exactly mean? Where can I find it?

Here: Wireless>Access Points>Global Configuration>

Check the previous link or the manual for information about the timers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card