Views
Helpful
Replies

No DNS resolution Win10 | Slow DNS Linux | Mobility Express 8.3.112.0 | AP1852i

ncashviperh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I just finished upgrading my wireless to Mobility Express using an 1852i access point. My *nix and android devices connect fine. My issue is with Windows 7 and 10 devices. They won't resolve dns at all. It's a super simple network AP -> Cisco Layer2 switch -> ASA5506 -> Cable Modem. I ran a monitor session on the switchport leading to the AP and I don't see any DNS packets from the windows devices. *nix devices show up fine. I have about 15 devices connected to the AP. 

WPA2 PSK on Primary SSID

No GuestPortal

Here is what I have tried so far.

• Ensured Firewall on AP is disabled
  • Disabled AVC on AP
  • RF Parameters set to Typical (Data & Voice) (changed this setting to try everything)
  • DHCP is done via ASA5506
  • QoS is set to gold (I've tried various settings)

Any thoughts? 

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Divya
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There is no such known issues on Windows7 & 10 clients. Please check if there any difference on the Client VLAN or the DNS server IP on the working and non-working clients?

If every attribute is similar between the working & non-working clients then try updating the Wireless adapter of Win7 & 10. And also check if any recent update broke the connection. 

if all the basics are done, then collect all the details/outputs and open a TAC case.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Divya

DNS points to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. DNS queries do not make it past the AP. I ran a span port on the switch, monitoring the port the AP is plugged into and I do not see DNS making it out of the AP. These devices all work fine on the 1841 which is supposed to be replaced by the 1852. 

What technologies in the 1852AP or within Mobility Express would make changes to the DNS?

Hi Mate,

There is no setting on the ap which would restrict the clients dns access. Does the clients getting the dns server details through dhcp or is it statically configured?

And what about the working set up ? Are you seeing the dns packets making out of the ap for the working set up(*nix and android devices) ? 

Thanks

Sreejith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card