Views
Helpful
Replies

noise and interference profile 'failed'

syjeon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I got the complain of disconnecting issue when they have a conference meeting via skype.

So, I started to looking at the AP status in WLC, and I found some interesting result in there.

Basically, I've found that 'noise profile and interference profile is failed' in AP monitoring.

when I googled some document to know what that is.. that it is kind of SNMP alerting from ap to wlc.

we can tune up the threshold in RRM >> General setting, but, it won't be help to address that issue.

What action need when I detect the profile failed? Do I request to find any non 802.11 device around that access point?

I'm wondering what should I do to clear the issue so that those threshold can be resided in configured threshold.

any how way to configure it in individually access point rather than global configuration?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, so you know the AP people are complaining about?  Post the complete output to the CLI command of "sh ap auto-rf 802.11b <AP name>".

Hi, Leo, As you can see, the interference has been failed. show ap auto-rf 802.11b ************* Number Of Slots.................................. 2 AP Name.......................................... ************* MAC Address...................................... c4:7d:4f:2e:a7:de Slot ID........................................ 0 Radio Type..................................... RADIO_TYPE_80211b/g Sub-band Type.................................. All Noise Information Noise Profile................................ PASSED Channel 1.................................... -91 dBm Channel 2.................................... -90 dBm Channel 3.................................... -92 dBm Channel 4.................................... -94 dBm Channel 5.................................... -92 dBm Channel 6.................................... -90 dBm Channel 7.................................... -92 dBm Channel 8.................................... -89 dBm Channel 9.................................... -89 dBm Channel 10................................... -90 dBm Channel 11................................... -91 dBm Channel 12................................... -90 dBm Channel 13................................... -91 dBm --More-- or (q)uit Interference Information Interference Profile......................... FAILED Channel 1.................................... -86 dBm @ 9 % busy Channel 2.................................... -128 dBm @ 0 % busy Channel 3.................................... -128 dBm @ 0 % busy Channel 4.................................... -128 dBm @ 0 % busy Channel 5.................................... -89 dBm @ 2 % busy Channel 6.................................... -90 dBm @ 1 % busy Channel 7.................................... -128 dBm @ 0 % busy Channel 8.................................... -128 dBm @ 0 % busy Channel 9.................................... -128 dBm @ 0 % busy Channel 10................................... -128 dBm @ 0 % busy Channel 11................................... -82 dBm @ 10 % busy Channel 12................................... -67 dBm @ 1 % busy Channel 13................................... -66 dBm @ 1 % busy Load Information Load Profile................................. PASSED Receive Utilization.......................... 0 % Transmit Utilization......................... 0 % Channel Utilization.......................... 10 % Attached Clients............................. 0 clients Coverage Information Coverage Profile............................. PASSED --More-- or (q)uit Failed Clients............................... 0 clients Client Signal Strengths RSSI -100 dbm................................ 0 clients RSSI -92 dbm................................ 0 clients RSSI -84 dbm................................ 0 clients RSSI -76 dbm................................ 0 clients RSSI -68 dbm................................ 0 clients RSSI -60 dbm................................ 0 clients RSSI -52 dbm................................ 0 clients Client Signal To Noise Ratios SNR 0 dB.................................. 0 clients SNR 5 dB.................................. 0 clients SNR 10 dB.................................. 0 clients SNR 15 dB.................................. 0 clients SNR 20 dB.................................. 0 clients SNR 25 dB.................................. 0 clients SNR 30 dB.................................. 0 clients SNR 35 dB.................................. 0 clients SNR 40 dB.................................. 0 clients SNR 45 dB.................................. 0 clients Nearby APs AP 00:3a:98:77:9c:e0 slot 0.................. -63 dBm on 11 (28:c5:71:29:01:f4) AP 00:3a:98:7c:29:c0 slot 0.................. -90 dBm on 6 (28:c5:71:29:01:f4) --More-- or (q)uit AP 00:3a:99:98:f7:e0 slot 0.................. -77 dBm on 1 (28:c5:71:29:01:f4) AP 00:3a:99:a8:f0:c0 slot 0.................. -75 dBm on 11 (28:c5:71:29:01:f4) AP 00:3a:99:d7:2a:30 slot 0.................. -77 dBm on 6 (28:c5:71:29:01:f4) AP 00:3a:99:d7:2b:d0 slot 0.................. -50 dBm on 1 (28:c5:71:29:01:f4) AP 04:da:d2:2d:c3:40 slot 0.................. -87 dBm on 6 (28:c5:71:29:01:f4) AP 04:da:d2:82:b2:40 slot 0.................. -86 dBm on 1 (28:c5:71:29:01:f4) AP 04:da:d2:83:25:f0 slot 0.................. -61 dBm on 6 (28:c5:71:29:01:f4) AP 04:da:d2:83:5a:a0 slot 0.................. -98 dBm on 11 (28:c5:71:29:01:f4) Radar Information Channel Assignment Information Current Channel Average Energy............... unknown Previous Channel Average Energy.............. unknown Channel Change Count......................... 0 Last Channel Change Time..................... Sat Apr 30 02:39:23 2016 Recommended Best Channel..................... 11 RF Parameter Recommendations RTS/CTS Threshold............................ 2347 Fragmentation Threshold...................... 2346 Antenna Pattern.............................. 0 Persistent Interference Devices Class Type Channel DC (%%) RSSI (dBm) Last Update Time ------------------------- ------- ------ ---------- ------------------------ --More-- or (q)uit All third party trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Good gosh!  I can't read that.  

Can you put the output in a text file and "attach" to this thread?

More-- or (q)uit

There are more outputs that needed to be added to the file.

Hi, Leo,

First of all, sorry about this, I didn't noticed it. see the attachement here.

Uhhhhh ... What country is this AP installed in?  The reason why I'm asking is because ALL the channels for 802.11b are enabled.  This is NOT best practice.  

Only enable Ch 1, 6 & 11.  

I firmly believe this is the reason why the Interference Profile is "Failed".

I reviewed my findings and above post is correct.  

The neighbor access-points only use 1,6,11 so DCA is correctly configured. The information for the other channels is generated by the off-channel scanning which is being done by default for all the allowed channels within the specific country. The "failed" is being caused due to the 10% interference on channel 11, this is the default threshold which might be to low depending on the RF environment.

I would start with a site survey to make sure that the 802.11a/n/ac (5Ghz) service is perfect and 802.11b/g/n (2.4Ghz) is as good as possible. Next step is to make sure that your clients actually use 802.11a/n/ac. Also check the other parts of the infrastructure (especially internet access due to using Skype).

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Hi Freerk,

Thanks for your point of view, so, in the matter of channel interference failed, how can I address this issue? is that means there are some wireless device using and conflicting with channel 11? any how to find it?

would it be better to focus on 5G since it's less interference than 2.4G? so, we need to know the poor quality client and check their h/w, and status? 

Hi,

Yes, I would focus on the 802.11a/n/ac by making sure that the coverage for that spectrum is solid and leave the 802.11b/g/n only for clients which do not support 802.11a/n/ac.

Things that might help to limit the interference on 802.11b/g/n are limiting the amount of your SSIDs, disabling radios in case of high density and search for certain non-WiFi interference like bluetooth for example. However, there is a big chance that the interference is being caused by something you don't control or can't fix (for example neighboring networks). Because of this I configure a little higher threshold for 802.11b/g/n most of the times.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card