Views
Helpful
Replies

Not Able to Ping AIR-AP2802E-H-K9

Hermann88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have problems to get connected to the AIR-AP2802E-H-K9. It´s connected via PoE module to a cisco Switch and is then connected to a Server. The interesting Thing is that DHCP sees the IP and the MAC adress of the AP, but i am still not able to ping the device or connect to it via browser.

Does anyone of you guy´s have an idea how to handle this Problem?

Thank´s a lot in advance for your help!^^

22 Replies 22

Mikey Boy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, are you attempting to use this AP as a mobility express AP or join it to a controller?

If it is the latter you wouldn't be able to get to the browser of it anyway. If you are using mobility express the part number of the  AP would normally have a "C" in it for configurable.

A little more information would be useful

Regards

Hi,

thanks for the prompt answer.

It´s a Little bit hard for me to figure this out, because i´m working with this th first time.

The numbers that i could find on the device are:

S/N: FGL2219A256

MAC: 7079B3179C3E

CMIIT ID:2016AJ4199

I really don´t know, if this helps you a Little bit.

Thanks in advance :)

Try to connect a console cable to it and paste the output of show version commands from AP console.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Ok do i Need a Special cable for that or is a normal CAT5e Cable ok?

And do i Need then a Special cisco tool for connecting to the AP?

Thanks ^^

Here is the link about console cable(blue colour):

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-72-3383-01-Console-Cable-RJ45-to-DB9/dp/B000GL3MOY

or

https://www.gearbest.com/cables-connectors/pp_1827991.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=4452586&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImIGJ6cDO3AIVAvEbCh3L3gKSEAQYAyABEgIyBPD_BwE

Connect AP and laptop via this cable and then use default username/password "Cisco / Cisco " and then run the command "show version" on it.

Info: no cisco tool required.

Rgeards

Ok thanks appreciate it!

Just a question for understanding. There is no other way to configure the AP?

Hi, if your part number is AIR-AP2802E-H-K9C then you would be able to configure it, if it is AIR-AP2802E-H-K9 then you wont without a WLC.

If the part number is AIR-AP2802E-H-K9 then  you can follow the below guide to convert it to mobility express and then you will be able to configure the AP as "standalone"

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/1/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide/getg_start.html#task_7588F4C009744AEFBB9EB754A713E390

Ok let me summarize it a little bit!

So I don´t have the version with th "C" in it, so I cannot configure it.

With "configure" I mean setting up the IP-adress, giving password, give allowance to other devices entering the wireless network,...

Is it possible to do this with this console cable what was described above?

I need to do this for three AP´s in one network ^^

Thank you guy´s

I hope you can answer me this

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4
So you can't ping the AP from the attached switch? This is a standard POE+ AP and while the unit will boot up and normally connect, the radio's will not function from POE.15w.
However you should be able to ping. unless you are experiencing the issues in Cisco FN 70208. Aironet 1560, 2800, and 3800 Series AP’s fail to pass traffic.
Yes, your versions are light weight and require WLC support. But you (maybe) can download the Mobillity Express image for 1 of your units and it will become a mini WLC and support a batch of other AP's,

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Hermann88 wrote:

It´s connected via PoE module to a cisco Switch and is then connected to a Server. The interesting Thing is that DHCP sees the IP and the MAC adress of the AP, but i am still not able to ping the device or connect to it via

Post the complete output to the command "sh cdp n <PORT> details".  I have seen this before and it can be due to one of two scenarios: 

1.  AP is fresh from the box and is looking for the controller.  Because of this, the only way to access the AP is via console because both Telnet and SSH are disabled. 

2.  The ethernet port is "freaking out".  Reboot the AP several times (in my case) fixes it.

Ok and connecting to the console is possible with this console cable, right?

So if i understand this correct, when I connect to the console, I don´t need the WLC.

Thank´s for your answers!

yes only console cable can be connected to console port.

After connection of console cable, paste the output of show version command, from there we would know that AP is either having Lightweight image or mobility express!!!

If its lightweight then you need to convert this AP to Mobility express.

http://www.semfionetworks.com/blog/convert-a-cisco-capwap-ap-to-a-mobility-express-ap

Regards

Ok i connected to the console and I used the command you gave me.

sh cdp n <PORT> details
Invalid response

Would you like to terminate autoinstall? [yes]:

Did I do something wrong? Please let me know

If you've connected the AP to a Cisco switch, enter the Cisco switch command of "sh cdp n <PORT> d".
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card