cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Old WLC 4404

davidfranek
Level 1
Level 1

I have an old Wireless controller running 4.1.185 software. I have 1242 AP's reloading every 4 minutes. Attached is a controller show tech and an AP debug.

Can someone determine if the controller is bad and should I try and replace it ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wow.  Your controller is almost 10 years old.  The firmware loaded is also old.  

*Jan 29 20:50:12.884: LWAPP_CLIENT_ERROR_DEBUG: No more AP manager IP addresses remain.

*Jan 29 20:50:12.889: %SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested by LWAPP CLIENT. Reload Reason: DID NOT GET JOIN RESPONSE.

*Jan 29 20:50:12.889: %LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to DOWNXmodem file system is available.

Did someone change anything?  Looks like the AP cannot contact the controller.  Check the firewall and/or DHCP Option 43.

Note:  If you want a good opportunity to replace your WLC, Let me tell you a special deal or a promo just released.  Google the SKU of:

• AIR-AP3702I-UX-WLC
  • AIR-AP2702I-UX-WLC
  • AIR-AP1702I-UX-WLC

These promo code is a bundle which contains two (2) controller-based access points (either 1702I, 2702I or 3702I) and the WLC-CT2504-25 is FREE.  

Notice the regulatory domain of the APs is the new "-UX"?  

The app for the iPhone can be found HERE.

For Android, it’s found HERE.

Cisco Aironet Universal AP Priming and Cisco AirProvision User Guide

View solution in original post

I have seen this error but with newer WLC codes. Check all newly added APs, one of them has IP address assigned  same as AP manager interface which makes the AP manager IP invalid when AP bootup, it cannot join. Check check your newly added APs and assign correct unique address. This should solve your issue

*Please rate all helpful posts **

Regards

Shaheen

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wow.  Your controller is almost 10 years old.  The firmware loaded is also old.  

*Jan 29 20:50:12.884: LWAPP_CLIENT_ERROR_DEBUG: No more AP manager IP addresses remain.

*Jan 29 20:50:12.889: %SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested by LWAPP CLIENT. Reload Reason: DID NOT GET JOIN RESPONSE.

*Jan 29 20:50:12.889: %LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to DOWNXmodem file system is available.

Did someone change anything?  Looks like the AP cannot contact the controller.  Check the firewall and/or DHCP Option 43.

Note:  If you want a good opportunity to replace your WLC, Let me tell you a special deal or a promo just released.  Google the SKU of:

• AIR-AP3702I-UX-WLC
  • AIR-AP2702I-UX-WLC
  • AIR-AP1702I-UX-WLC

These promo code is a bundle which contains two (2) controller-based access points (either 1702I, 2702I or 3702I) and the WLC-CT2504-25 is FREE.  

Notice the regulatory domain of the APs is the new "-UX"?  

The app for the iPhone can be found HERE.

For Android, it’s found HERE.

Cisco Aironet Universal AP Priming and Cisco AirProvision User Guide

The controller has been running for many years. The customer has elected no to upgrade.

The DHCP server has all the correct options set. The AP does come up but as you can see it gets 

Did not receive the Join response 

No more AP manager IP addresses remain.

DID NOT GET JOIN RESPONSE

Hmmmm ... Console into the AP and post the complete output to the command "sh crypto ca certificate".  

Post the WLC command of "sh sysinfo" and "sh time". 

How is the NTP settings on the WLC configured?  Manually or NTP?

The AP is reloading because it's having a difficulty finding/joining a controller.  This is a "standard" behaviour when your controller is running 4.X firmware.

show crypto and show time from WLC, attached. Time is coming off a 6513 switch.

Time on controller is set as NTP to 6513 switch.

Attached is show sysinfo.

Can you please use Notepad (instead of Word) instead? 

In regards to the "sh sysinfo" output, is this the complete output?  If not, can I see the complete output?

Can the AP ping the WLC Management Interface IP address?  If it can, can you console into the AP and (in enable mode) enter the following command:  lwapp ap controller ip address <WLC Management Interface IP address>

I have seen this error but with newer WLC codes. Check all newly added APs, one of them has IP address assigned  same as AP manager interface which makes the AP manager IP invalid when AP bootup, it cannot join. Check check your newly added APs and assign correct unique address. This should solve your issue

*Please rate all helpful posts **

Regards

Shaheen

The controller has been running for many years. The customer has elected no to upgrade.

Exactly how old are the APs?  I mean what is the OLDEST APs in the network?

The reason why I'm asking is because the old 802.11a/b/g APs have an MIC which will expire 10 years after the AP was manufactured.  (APs with internal antennas have 10 years and APs with external antennas have 15 years.)  When the certificate expires, the AP will stop joining the controller.  

I have just been told by one of the prolific contributors here, George Stefanick, that Cisco will be release a "fix" to this issue.  For the 4400, there will be a firmware released in the next 6 months but the firmware will be 7.0.X.  The client will have to do a major upgrade (including bootstrap upgrade) because it will NOT be possible to upgrade from 4.X to 7.0.X without going through intermediate upgrades.

davidfranek
Level 1
Level 1

The controller was bad. It would not build an ARP request for the AP.

davidfranek
Level 1
Level 1

The controller was bad. It would not build an ARP request for the AP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: