cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

one SSID broadcasted on one AP but not on a second one

S. K.
Level 1
Level 1

HI, I've searched now everywhere but cannot find a solution.

A customer has 5 SSID's configured and add a new AP on a different site. He want's the same SSID on the new AP but not broadcasted.

With AP groups it's not possible; I can enable or disable the"broadcast" under "WLAN's" --> SSID "Broadcast SSID"

To be sure, the same SSID's!

THX!!!

Regards

Stephan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to be clear, the two SSIDs will be created the same, one will just have the broadcast enabled and the other will not have broadcasted enabled and the WLAN profile name will be different. Again, this will only work if your WLAN ID for one is 1-16 and the other 17 or higher.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to create another WLAN with a different profile name. Also make sure one of the WLAN IDs is <16 and the other >16. This will allow you to create another SSID with different settings, then you use AP Groups to define which SSID will be used on what AP's.

-Scott

the L2 security will be different though

Layer 2 can be the same. The work around is using WLAN ID 1-16 and the other >16

-Scott

the WLC will not allow you to configure 2 WLAN with same SSID and same L2 security

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.2/configuration/guide/cg_wlan.html#wp1583666

That's wrong.... You can! Try it out.

-Scott

i tried it and i got an error , says that i can't creat two WLAN same SSID same L2 security

Here you go... two SSID's named GuestWiFI with different profile names and one WLAN ID using 6 and the other 17.  The SSID configuraiton is the same for both (layer 2 and 3), one is broadcasting and the other is not.

2-9-2014 4-50-01 PM.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to be clear, the two SSIDs will be created the same, one will just have the broadcast enabled and the other will not have broadcasted enabled and the WLAN profile name will be different. Again, this will only work if your WLAN ID for one is 1-16 and the other 17 or higher.

-Scott

Hi Scott!

Thanks a lot!! I planed to do that with different SSID's, but the information with the WLAN ID is new for me :-)

Thanks for your fast answer!!!

Best regards

Stephan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card