Helpful
Replies

Only 16 WLAN ID´s

winkelu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a problwm with a WLC 5508

If I define a new WLAN with a ID greater 16 the WLAN will not be send out by the AP

Is this a bug or a feature?

Udo

4 Replies 4

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

This is expected!! The AP will not broadcast or processs more than 16 SSIDs, you need to configure the AP group and then sing this to the AP and then it will work!!

lemme know if this answered ur question and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hello,

the 16 SSID on the AP have been clear.

But I have not defined more the 4 WLAN´s on the WLC

I tried to use on the WLC  WLAN id´s above 17 which was not working

regads

Udo

If you want more than 16 SSID per AP then AP Groups is the way to go.

Just to elaborate a little on Leolaohoo's post:

APs default to being in the Default-Group (AP Group).

The Default-Group always consists of WLAN 1-16 with the interface mapping on the WLAN config, you cannot change this.

If you define a WLAN #17, you will need to build a new AP Group that contains only the SSIDs you want in that group (up to 16 total, but its ridiculous to put 16 ssids on the same AP). You'll need to set the proper interface mapping when you build the AP group (the wlan default interface mapping has no value here).

Once you have your AP-Group defined, you assign APs to that group (so they are no longer part of Default-Group). I believe this last step will reboot or at least disconnect/reconnect the AP.  At this point, your APs should now join the WLC and have only the SSIDs defined in the AP Group.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card