cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Option to gracefully shutdown WLC 5520 / 8540?

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Experts,

Are there any means that we can gracefully shutdown the Cisco WLC?

In CMX and MSE we have the options to do that by : cmxctl stop and msed services stop respectively.However don't find any means to do that for Cisco WLCs.

This would help in the instances wherein there would be planned power shutdown activities. Rather then leaving the WLC to go down and come up at the mercy of intermittent power outages, would be lot more desirable to shut it down gracefully  until the power is up and stable.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Choose POWER OFF. 

As long as the unit has power you can log into the CIMC to turn the WLC on or off remotely.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe you have option for these devices mentioned in the post.

you need to power them off thats all (there is no option gracefull shutdow as i know).

note : make sure you have regularbackup in place, while turn off, there is no upgrade in place.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use the CIMC to shut down the server.

That is as "graceful" as it gets.

Thanks Leo for the response.

What would be more ideal, shutdown / poweroff?

Please note that I need to shutdown and bring up the unit remotely :)
So will need to explore the option that will allow me to bring up the unit without pressing in the power button.

CIMC.png

Choose POWER OFF. 

As long as the unit has power you can log into the CIMC to turn the WLC on or off remotely.

Thanks Leo

casanavep
Level 3
Level 3

Login to both the WLC GUI and the CICM Remote KVM console for each 5520/8540 appliance.  If in HA (SSO), select restart --> peer  --> save and restart.  Monitor your KVM consoles for the BIOS/CMOS initiated boot (like testing memory).  Once you see it is at this point, rebooting, select Power --> Power Off System.  Repeat these steps for restarting "self."  Doing this process cleaning stops processes and ensures no disk write actions are occurring when the hosts are powered off, thus mitigating risks of disk corruption.  A TAC engineer taught me this trick after a unit had failed due to corrupt disk due to simply powering it off while running.  It's a painful process, but the only one I've ever been shown to prevent the rare disk issue from hard power off.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: