Views
Helpful
Replies

Outdoor AP with extended temp range -30 +40

handshake78
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to select an Outdoor AP for use for extended temperature range -30 + 40. The 1550 series are very good, but as I understand they are only lightweight and require WLC. Is there any other option to go with Cisco? The requirements are

1. Outdoor

2. Temp range -30 + 40

3. Ability to connect omnidirectional antenna (or integrated), the distance to be covered is open area with a radius of 50m.

Best,

Handshake

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can order the 1550's in autonomous if you want. You just will not have the feature you get if you had a WLC. This also goes for any other Cisco ap that is autonomous.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

You would have support as long as you have a support contract. Doesn't matter what code version you have.

-Scott

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

handshake78
Level 1
Level 1

FOrgot to mention that the temperatures are Celsius degrees

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can order the 1550's in autonomous if you want. You just will not have the feature you get if you had a WLC. This also goes for any other Cisco ap that is autonomous.

-Scott

Thanks Scott!

How can I order autonomous one? My doubts are based on the fact that for all other APs there are both LAP/CAP and AP/SAP part-numbers in the datasheet / ordering guides. But for 1500 family there is only CAP so it seems that it is available only as controller based. Are you sure I can order them as Autonomous? Thanks in advance!

Talk with your Cisco SE as there have been a few on the forums that have ordered these in autonomous. There should be a SAP version as Cisco made it available this year.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'll try to find it, but you can convert then to autonomous from lightweight.

-Scott

I will be very thankful for any more details. In case of converting from Lightwiegh to Automonous will I loose support? Or Cisco will continue to support it?

You will not loose support. What I would also look at is the WLC2504. They are pretty cheap and then you can use that with more features. I will try to find the part number but the autonomous code is available for download.

-Scott

I'd second that. WLC254 is relatively cheap yet you get a centrally managed solution.

Dear colleagues,

Thanks for the feedback. The 'problem' is that I definitely will have only one AP, because I need just to cover small area outside of city. There will be no area expansion, etc. Do you beleive I need a WLC in that case?

I would, since you get more of the features with a WLC. Why spend that much money in an AP to use it as an autonomous AP. You would rather get a regular autonomous AP and maybe mount that inside a building and have antennas outside. If your mounting an AP in the middle of a field or not on a building, then a 1552 would be the one to use.

-Scott

Yes, I am mounting it in a middle of the field and have to cover only that area. I selected AIR-CAP1552H-E-K9 as it seems to be the best option for me. The only thing to wonder is will we still have a support in case of converting from Lightweight to Autonomous?

Thanks!

You would have support as long as you have a support contract. Doesn't matter what code version you have.

-Scott

Perfect, thanks a lot!

No problem. I believe you have 90 days from purchase for free support, then after that you will need SmartNet.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card