Views
Helpful
Replies

Password policy for Admin in WLC 9800

night143r
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
I just upgraded firmware of WLC to 17.3.20200621 but after the upgrade, whenever i login to controller it shows password policy message.
I tried configuring password policy by going to Configuration -> AAA -> AAA Advanced -> Password policy

made one policy but nothing happened

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You could also check the flag 'Do not show this message again'

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You need to add a new user and apply that policy to that user. Then you need to login with that user, delete your master/root and re-create that with the new policy tied to it.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

HI Scott,

New user is created but there is no option of policy tied to specific user.

I logged out from the user and then logged in again from the new user with admin rights but still message is continuously coming.

You must be on an older code versions. Try to define it from the cli. Make sure that the command looks the same after it is applied by looking at the show run | in username

There is a bug on some versions that the wlan-profile-name gets added. You do not want this because if the controller is ever restarted, you will not be able to login.

username privilege 15 common-criteria-policy password 0
-Scott

Hi @Scott Fella 

Are you recommending me to write this command in config mode

"username privilege 15 common-criteria-policy password 0" ??

but how do i specify which user to apply this password policy?

Some reason the command got filtered:

username (username) privilege 15 common-criteria-policy (policy name) password 0 (password)

Give that a try from the cli and make sure that the show run matches what you entered, if not, then you are running into a bug that is fixed on newer versions.

-Scott

If you see something like this in the show run, then you are hitting the bug:

username <username> privilege 15 common-criteria-policy <policy name> wlan-profile-name password 0 <password>

-Scott

- You could also check the flag 'Do not show this message again'

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

@marce1000 

Checking the flag is not a solution as i am continuously getting that message again and again

I dont know "why are you saying this thing twice in my post"

- As Scott says this is probably a bug in the code , try more recent software version for the controller.

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: