Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
thefilmguy
Beginner

Please help. Where do I even begin?

Guys, I took a new job which may end up being my worst nightmare in all my years of wireless engineering. I'm looking for a starting point as to where I should start to try and clean up the wireless situation I walked into. Here is an example of one of many facilities using omni-directional access points at high ceiling.

360k sqft warehouse with 30ft tall racks(80 or so) about 300. All using 3802i access points mounted at 33 feet or so high in clear plain sight of each other with a total of 150 on static channel assignment at max power (1-2). Using 1Mpbs as lowest mandatory with only unii-1 and 3 channels enabled on both bands. All residing on a local virtualized controller.

I don't know whether I should start my drinking in the morning or night. Where should I start? I have anxiety over the number of problems that I have identified. The lack of directional antennas here makes me scream. My first solution is reduce the COI on 5Ghz by enabling the UNII-2 / Ext channels. I calculated 92% of 5GHz and 61% of 2.4Ghz radios are interfering. That includes almost half of the 2.4 radios already disabled.

Since I can't do multiple changes, I have to go one at a time, one week at a time basically. I would love any advice from the veterans on here. 

PS. Not even cleanair is enabled (oh my lanta)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Scott Fella
Hall of Fame Master

Probably should post this in the discussion section not the blog.

Anyways, when entering a new environment, I would tend to not look for what I believe is right and be open minded. First off, collect some data and user feedback. If things are working, well… then you don’t have to rush to make all these changes you want and management doesn’t have any data to justify the cost. I have seen warehouses with very high mounted ap’s and at the end of the day, that wasn’t much of an issue compared to other things like configuration and or device firmware and settings. The main thing is to identify problems, get the environment stable with what you have, then make a list of your changes which will add cost.

Wanted to add on to this since you updated your thread.  Make sure 100% that devices in the warehouse and or used in the environment support uni2-extended.  That would be your biggest mistake if there are old devices that are 802.11b only or 802.11a that only supports certain channels.  I have to say it again... gather data and know the environment, do not jump into conclusions.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Scott Fella
Hall of Fame Master

Probably should post this in the discussion section not the blog.

Anyways, when entering a new environment, I would tend to not look for what I believe is right and be open minded. First off, collect some data and user feedback. If things are working, well… then you don’t have to rush to make all these changes you want and management doesn’t have any data to justify the cost. I have seen warehouses with very high mounted ap’s and at the end of the day, that wasn’t much of an issue compared to other things like configuration and or device firmware and settings. The main thing is to identify problems, get the environment stable with what you have, then make a list of your changes which will add cost.

Wanted to add on to this since you updated your thread.  Make sure 100% that devices in the warehouse and or used in the environment support uni2-extended.  That would be your biggest mistake if there are old devices that are 802.11b only or 802.11a that only supports certain channels.  I have to say it again... gather data and know the environment, do not jump into conclusions.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

thefilmguy
Beginner

Oh odd, I must of done that by mistake. Meant this for discussion.

So you are correct, my first issue is to identify what's broken. Unfortunately as we all know the life of a wireless engineer, the information we get is often lacking. So I have to stick with the basics at the moment. I've validated the devices in use support the unii-2 extended channels. Also reviewed the best practices for these models and the guidance aligns with my proposal. The survey completed also validated my assumptions on excessive channel overlap. So the objective is to see what improvements come from turning on the extra channels and making power / radio adjustments after the fact. 

One of my issues is lacking data. They have Prime and have never added wireless. They don't have the licensing to accommodate either. DNA is on the scope but with 8.3 code, DNA is not a feasible option right now. All I've received on user data is "poor connectivity". 

Configuration is a starting point but we all know the design is the most critical. It appears they never had a wireless engineer so everything was installed without any professional oversight.

Anyways, thank you Scott. Much appreciated.

Content for Community-Ad

This widget could not be displayed.