Views
Helpful
Replies

Powering a AP 2802 I

DamianZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have an installation where we are wanting to use a Cisco Air-AP2802I on a mobile trolley to provide network to a Telehealth device.

Because we use the POE input/output to power the telehealth device, can POE for the AP be obtained via the Aux input?

I think I already know the answer but just wanted to double check.

Thank you.

Damian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You will not be able to power the access point using the aux port. You will need to get a power injector for the WAP.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide_chapter_01010.html

The power injector goes between the WAP  and medical device and gets power from the cart battery

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Which aux port are you referring to? What device is providing power to the medical device and how does the medical device connect with the access point?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

2802i WAP has 1 x POE Port, 1 x AUX Port , 1 x Console Port and a USB connection.

The POE port is used to connect to the medical device, this is how the medical device gets its network connection. The medical device plugs into a medical cart that has it's own rechargeable battery.

That leaves me with a USB port, a console port and an AUX port “NIC”, can I use an injector to power the WAP via the AUX port “NIC” is the question I am asking, as the POE port "nic" is already in use.

Link to WAP picture https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/aironet-2800-series-access-points/3d-model.html

Thank you.

Hi,

You will not be able to power the access point using the aux port. You will need to get a power injector for the WAP.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide_chapter_01010.html

The power injector goes between the WAP  and medical device and gets power from the cart battery

Thanks

John

Please note, the 2802 requires PoE+ for operation. A simple PoE injector/switch will not offer enough power.
And no, the AUX port can't be used for that.

Thank you all for your replies. I thought that would be the answer, but it never hurts to check as I have learned some tricks off this support channel.

Hi Patoberli,

Thank you for this information, however I have tried powering the WAP with the power injector only and it powers up.

Thanks John, I think this is how I will configure this AP in this scenario so it works correctly.

Kind regards

Damian

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Not possible.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card