cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Primary Controller settings

JASON SIMMONS
Level 2
Level 2

All of the remote LAPs in our environment initally join the controller via DHCP Option 43.  Sometimes they first IP address in the Option 43 setting may not be the same as the WLC configured as primary. After they boot and join a controller, will they automatically move to the controller thats configured as primary?

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to set the primary, secondary and or tertiary WLC. After the ap joins for the first time, it will know of that WLC along with the other WLC in the same mobility group. If you require the AP to know of its primary, secondary and or tertiary, you need to define that in the access point.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott are you using Siri with the CSC app ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Once the AP joins the first controller it downloads the mobility group containing ALL the WLCs in that group. After it reboots, it will select one of the less congested controllers IF no master controller is set, no primary, secondary or backup controllers are set ..

So you will need to drop into the high availability and tell the ap where to go ..

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Haha... Nope, but that would be nice! Killing some time while my daughter is in swim lessons:)

-Scott

Try it . i did it a few times and its not bad ..

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Haha... Too bad I'm on an iPhone 4. Waiting for November when I can upgrade. You know... Company polices. I should try it from my iPad.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card