cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Private Vlans on Cisco 2504 WLC Controller?

loonphang
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i have lok around, try to figure out  if the we can create private vlan on the controller without buying a catalyst switch?

Thank You!!!

10 Replies 10

daviwatk
Level 3
Level 3

Not sure exactly what you are asking.  Keep in mind the WLC is "not" a router.  If you are wanting to create some "additional private" VLANs, just on the WLC, this is not going to fly.  They need to be pointed to a device offering their respective layer 3 gateway interfaces.

loonphang
Level 1
Level 1

All i want to do is to ensure no one in the same wireless network can attck each other

Still not following what you are saying.  Are you wanting to have wireless clients associate to "different" SSIDs, thus "different"  VLANs so their traffic is separated?  The info I posted above still applies.

Can you be more specific about what you are wanting to achieve?  You can always give everyone helmets so that nobody gets hurt during the attack.

thank you for your reply.

actually, i am trying to set up a wirelss controller with 20 aps in one apartment, providing shared internet access only, with a few vlans. 

Planning to buy 2504 wlc, an esw switch and aironet 1042.

what is the best way to protect all the tenants?

You still haven't described how you want this to work.  Remember, the controller is not a router.  You cannot just create VLANs and L3 interfaces to route those VLANS "on" the WLC.  These need to be defined on a L3 device elsewhere.

1. 20 APs in "one apartment"?  I assume you mean at one apartment "complex", but that's not the point of concern, yet

2. You say shared internet access only, "with a few vlans".  Are you wanting multiple guest WLANS, each on their own VLAN, or to provide the same SSID to "ALL" of these clients needing internet?  If so, a few VLANs aren't needed for this pool of clients on a single WLAN; just one, unless you are talking about using interface groups, but that's another story.

3. If you are just saying "how do you protect tenants that are using the same shared guest WLAN from one another" that's not really up to you to deal with.  Clients should be educated on steps to take to ensure their machines are protected, such as windows/software firewall, security applications, etc.  Once they are all on the same guest network, the chickens are in the ring; so if a client is trying to mess with another guest, there isn't much you can do.

i know the key word i want to ask finally,

1 guest vlan and maybe 1 vlan for tenant and 1vlan for management

Does 2504 suppor CLIENT ISOLATION? Will client isolation protect them from other tenants?

if i enable the p2p bloack action, will this prevent tenant 1 from attacking or hacking to tenant 2's computer?

Loon Phang,

There is a feature called Peer-to-Peer blocking that can be enabled. But Davids comments above still hold, there must be a L3 device, i.e. router, that the wlan controller connects to. Other wise the traffic for any of your wlans/vlans will only be in the controller and not routed to the internet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_wlan.html#wp1209597

Loon,

p2p blocking will do what you are asking. This feature can be enabled per wlan to prevent clients of that wlan talking to each other.  I do not know if you can prevent clients from different wlans talking to each other though (especially if its two wlans, but the same vlan).

As far as what everyone else is saying, the WLC is just a device that puts clients in whatever vlan you say.  The assumption is that you have a switch and router upstream that are handling these tasks.  The WLC is not like your consumer home all in one router.....

I'm going to assume you do have upstream router/switch, since you are deploying 20 APs....

loonphang
Level 1
Level 1

yes, i wil have ESW switch and router.

i am wondering if should get a catalyst switch  for its prvate vlan feature.

Equipment list: ESW Switch , 2504 wlc, AP 1042N, router,

Does 2504 suppor CLIENT ISOLATION?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card