Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem connecting a device to iPSK network

CiaranB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm testing a new iPSK based IoT wlan on a WLC8540 (8.5.140.0) and using an ACS 5.8 radius server for authentication.

The wlan works successfully with a laptop and Android phone but does not work with a particular air sensor we have.

The air sensor works fine with a regular PSK wlan but fails to associate to the AP using the iPSK configuration.

Below are some screen shots from the WLC troubleshooting tools and I've also attached some debug client info.

Anyone any suggestions on what i could be doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Ciarán

iPSK Awair1.PNGiPSK Awair2.PNG

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
That’s pretty tough since you identified that only one type of devices fail. Have you looked at the radius logs to see what it shows?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi and thanks for for getting back to me.

No radius logs at all for the device in question. No record of it failing the initial MAC authentication. It appears to be failing to get to the 'Associated' client stated.

When I look at the client on the WLC, the username is blank. Could it be something like, it's not sending it's MAC address as a client username for MAC authentication (Sorry my understanding of every step of the process is a little weak).

thanks again.

>From my experience, it seems like how the device is trying to associate is the problem and not your wireless. Can the issue be with special characters you have defined in the psk?
-Scott

Just to confirm, if you connect to the same SSID with the same iPSK with your Android device, the connection is successful?
You did add the correct MAC address of the sensor to your Radius server? Your Radius server must log something, otherwise the SSID/Radius configuration is wrong.
Link to deployment guide (skip the network policies part, that's optional):
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-5/b_Identity_PSK_Feature_Deployment_Guide.html

I think I have it working now. I removed and re-added the MAC address from the access policy on the ACS and it worked.

I confirmed before removing it that it was configured identically to the other entries in the authroisation rule of the access policy. But when I re-added it, it just started to work, I can't explain why but it's something i should have tried sooner!

thanks for all your help.

Ciarán

That’s great that you got it to work. Funny thing is when I have issue with anything on radius/Tacacs i usually delete the object the re add it. I don’t even bother to make changes to the object.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card