Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems Creating New Interface On 2504

Alucidnation
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

To keep things simple (for me), i have decided to create a new interface that can be used in place of the management interface on my AP's to support guest access to the internet.

I have created a new interface, however, it keeps telling me i have invalid IP addresses..

In the Interface box, i enter a made up IP address in the IP address field, with the usual 255 mask, and, correct me if im wrong, i enter my routers IP address in the Gateway box?

Problem is, when i put my router IP in, I get "Invalid address information provided".

The only way it will accept an IP in the gateway box is if i put some random address in there, but then if i set up a wlan with this interface, wireless clients will not connect.

Is there something else i should be entering somewhere or am i doing it wrong?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know what exactly you already have created as far as interfaces. However, is that IP address already being used in another interface? The gateway would be the gateway also that the clients would get and it can't be overlapping. If your supper netting, that isn't supported also.  Each interface has to be assigned to its own subnet, vlan id and gateway.  

Can you describe in more detail what your design is as I'm not really following what you have stated above. 

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Long story short, i want to create a separate WLAN for wireless clients that would only have access to the internet and nothing on the local network.

Hopefully with that, i can create and use an independent ACL that would allow this.

I could of course, be going about this the wrong way as i have now discovered that the "guest" WLAN can have the interface ACL over ridden in the advanced tab with a new ACL.

My only problem with that is that i am lost on how to set up the ACL for internet traffic only on the Guest WLAN!

Thanks

The easy way is to place the guest traffic own it's own subnet and use the router acl's. The controller is a layer 2 device and really isn't that easy. If your controller is in lag, then you will have to add the guest vlan to the controller or if you are not using lag, then you can use another port on the 2504 and either connect that to your network or straight into a DMZ if you have one. 

-Scott

-Scott

Ok,back on this.

I have now done as suggested and mapped Port 2 on vlana.

I have connected port2 on the 2504 to my network switch.

I now have a wifi network that i can join, and it is not showing any other devices on the network that can be discovered, however, i still have no internet access on vlana.

Here is a screen shot of what i have set at the moment.

The IP address is random and the gateway address is a random ip that i generated, however, if i try to input my router IP into this, it comes back as invalid.

Edit: Just to add that i have untagged the vlan identifier now as giving it an ID stopped the guest network from working

Anyone??

Can you draw out your connectivity.  Because you should be able to get this going easily. 

Do you have the new Interface mapped to a physical port on 2504 or are you using a LAG ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card