Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper AP for 40-50 connected client

hbaduk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,
I surfed cisco support forums and this is writing "20-30 client is proper per ap"..

But I have a classroom with 60mx20m size and 80-100 client inside of classroom.. Deployed 2 1600 series access point before and student complaining the connection problems.. I thinking about changing Access point, So which series would appropriate for my problem? (available series 2800,2700)
Thank you

9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

2700 is alredy EoS, so its better to go with 2802 APs.

Also best is to do a site survey , site survey report will tell you the interference points & how many APs you will need in a hall.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi Sandeep,

Thank you for your reply..

Which feature or attribute of AP effect to client count. I just know MIMO

Hi,

There are many ...1. You are limited by the RF/medium. 802.11 is a half duplex. As each client is added, the bandwidth becomes half each time. 

Normally cisco mention that you can connect 200 Clients per AP (Cisco's terms of client link or mac address) but reality is different. 

Ideally for data you should expect 20-25 clients per ap and  If you are doing voice / video on wifi then max 15 Clinet per AP.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I suggest two 2802i models, one set to 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz while the second is doing dual-5 GHz (unless you have many legacy 2.4 GHz clients).
Best is to use 20 or 40 MHz channels on those, if you can use DFS channels. If DFS ones are forbidden in your country, go with 20 MHz channels. 80 MHz might be possible, but you really need to look at the Noise and Interference graphs while the room, and the ones around it, are in full use.

Can really recommend this blog on understanding and designing bandwidth capacity for wireless, it also uses classrooms as an example:

http://divdyn.com/wi-fi-throughput/

The capacity planner may also be handy to you, where you are not designing for coverage but for density. Also important to understand your end device requirements like bandwidth requirements when designing your network.

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/capacity-planner

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@hbaduk wrote:

Deployed 2 1600 series access point before and student complaining the connection problems

Define "connection problems".  Wrong username/password?  No signal?  Bad signal?  

What kind of wireless clients? 

What OS?  Android?  Apple?  Windows?

Have you verified if the complains are true/false?

Hi Leo,

I carried out the study on you told.

- Problem was slow connection but when I examine charts bandwidth is not consume fully (I inferred from this my APs(1600) not responding 30+ clients)

- Client OS %30 mobile, %70 Windows(laptop) roughly

- All complains are not true :) you know students want to best always

Please avoid using an number of users per AP. 

It is purely what the devices are doing, and what their capacity is.

Check out this blog: http://divdyn.com/wi-fi-throughput/

That being said I have seen APs in Universities using 30 students per AP doing good throughput per client. In uni they were running 3700s.

Keith Parsons said always but the best AP model you can, so go for the 3800 or 2800 AP.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Slow connection or slow authentication?
If the connection is slow, then I want to know what the internet bandwidth is.
Is QoS enabled?
is the link between the AP and the switch running on full duplex or not?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card