cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rationale behind the recommendation of disabling higher data rates (36-54 Mbps)for VoWLAN

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Experts, 

Have been going through the really helpful guide on VoWLAN deployment

There's an optional recommendation of disabling higher data rates (36-54 Mbps)for VoWLAN deployment.

While the rationale behind the disabling of lower data rates is totally understood, what could be the reason behind suggesting the disabling of higher data rates?Rationale for the recommendation of disabling higher data rates for VoWLAN.PNG

2 Replies 2

Hi @Muhammed Adnan

One reason I see is the fact that for voice traffic we dont need speed but stability. Voice traffic is very sensitivity in terms of loss and delay. Higher speed also use more complex modulation and, depending on the environment, complex modulation means more packet loss and more delay.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

To add to Flavio's comments, this also is viable with non-voice connections.  If your environment is noisy as an example, its best to limit the number of data rates you have as mandatory or supported.  The less the choice, the less the device and AP's have to negotiate modulation due to errors.

This is something that you can test by creating AP Groups and RF Profiles and placing few AP's in that group.  I'm a big fan of trying it and determining if it works in your environment or not.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card