Views
Helpful
Replies

Re minimum separation distance between 2802i access points

poconnotcd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are setting up the wifi in a 600 seater college theater and have been asked if we can put two 2802i access points side by side rather than spacing them evenly. We will have sixteen access points in the area so they want (the architect that is) to have them in pairs. What are the technical reasons not to do this?

Thanks

P

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Get a wireless site survey done.

That goes without saying but it doesn't answer my question i.e. what are the reasons not to doing this.

P

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You do not want APs side by side you will have heaps of ACI and CCI.

For a 600 seat theater I would be using directional antennas to limit where the RF is actually going to reduce this.

As Leo has said recommend doing a wireless site survey.

There are options to "hide" the APs - check out https://www.wlanpros.com/resources/disguising-your-wi-fi-carter-burke-wlpc-prague-2018/

there is the possibility to work with the architect to get the APs where you need them whilst still working with their design. 

From experience don't let the architect dictate the design or you will have bad WiFi.

Other options would be to look at other mounting options like under seats potentially if the roof isn't usable

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

That's great Haydn. much appreciate the response. Just what I was looking for.

Glad i could be of help.

To help the community if the issue has been resolved make sure you mark the solution as solved.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card