Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommend me an external AP

Dylan Hyndman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently run approx. 200 1142 AP’s managed by a couple of WLC’s (version 6). These are all in internal locations. We would now like to cover external areas and are looking for a simple external AP to deploy, ideally the AP will support 802.11 a,g,n. The external areas are the open spaces between campus buildings

We don’t want anything too fancy i.e. we don’t need CleanAir technology or 3G/4G offload.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

3 Replies 3

joeadiutori
Level 1
Level 1

Dylan,

I'm studying for my CCNA-W.  Below is a summary of Cisco AP's.  I dont know if this list is 100% inclusive.  Anyway, I dont see any that meet your requirements.

Joe

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dylan,

How large of an area are you looking to cover?  If you're just looking to cover a samll area right off of the building you could look into the 1310, which on the WLC acts as an AP, but it's outdoor rated.

If you need to cover a large area, like the parking lots, you may need to look into the 1552 AP.

Downside to the 1310, is it's only 2.4 b/g, the 1552 is a/b/g/n.

Alternately you could use the 1262 with some LMR to extend the antenna outside the building, again this would be for an area near the building.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Joe, Thanks Steven

The 1552I looks interesting, Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Dylan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card