Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended practice - Broadcast Forwarding

R.Beeching
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on enabling broadcast forwarding and Cisco's recommended practice? I have not found too many links on the subject so if anyone has any links worth reading etc I'd be grateful!

The client in question has a fairly flat network with all user machines both wired and wireless sharing a /21 subnet so I imagine there are plenty of broadcasts going out across the network.My understanding is by having broadcast fowarding disabled as per the default setup, I am preventing quite a high number of broadcasts being forwarded from the wired side to every machine in the wireless range. If this were to be enabled and the network has ~200-300 devices within the same vlan on the wireless side that could result in quite a heavy load on the wireless network?

The client wants to use a program to manage their machines which requires this broadcast forwarding. I believe the application itself won't result in too many broadcasts being sent out however it is other broadcast traffic I am concerned about. As yet I have not done any testing on what levels of broadcasts are being sent out on the wired side as it is in the early stages of discussion and may not result in any further action.

If anyone has any thoughts on this or tests they have completed I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Ric

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well best practice is to leave it default. The thing you also have to look at is that its a requirement for an application or device. There are other best practices like subnet six and always keeping wireless and wired subnets separate. So in your case, you really don't have a choice but to enable broadcast forwarding due to requirements from a vendor. Just enable it and see if it will impact the environment or not.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, Scott. Useful info as always!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card