cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovery image. Topology 3602i thru 2504 controller from TFTP Server

Timohamoto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone! Here is my topology and I need to perform image recovery for my 3602.

3602 can be connected and powered only by 2504 controller.

How I need to configure controller to allow communication from 3602 and TFTP server???

Does all ports on controller L3 and I need to make Routing thru 2921 Router?

Or no needs to configure  IP ports interfaces on controller and it will work on L2.

Please give me direction to follow and recover IMAGE.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can give a try & see if this works.

1. Make a copy of  your "ap3g2-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.ja1.tar" file & rename it as "ap3g2-k9w7.tar.default" on your TFTP server.

2. Assign your TFTP server 10.0.0.2/8 with gateway as 10.0.0.1

3. Hold the AP mode button while powering from the WLC POE port (for  `20s & LED turn to solid RED) & then release the mode button.

4. Watch the AP console to see whether it find your TFTP server & download the recovery image.

Process is explained here for a normal case where you can power the AP from an external adapter.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

If two ports of controller acting as dummy switchport, that should work.

HTH

Rasika

**** pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you are trying to do doesn't make any sense. 

You're trying to download an image on ROMmon.  This can't be done remotely.  This can only be done when you've got console access to the AP.  And it doesn't make sense either to pull the image from a WAN link.  

If what you are trying to do is pull an RCV image into an AP, boot the AP normally, give the AP an IP address and extract the image normally.  No need to re-inventing the wheel.  

Hi Leo! Thank you for answering!

How should topology looks if only one way over PoE to connect and to power AP???

Which IP i should assign to TFTP server, controller and AP (same subnet)?

Ok, step back.  FAR, FAR back. 

I am going to disregard your network diagram:  It doesn't make sense. 

What exactly are you trying to do?

Can the AP boot normally (and not go into ROMmon)?

Alright! I nead to load image to my AP

There are no image on AP and no power supply. That's why i need to perform that task!

Every time it's boots directly to ROMmon.

ap>

ap>

ap>

Does it possible theoretically to configure all controller's ports to Layer 2, and there will be no problems to point AP's interface to TFTP and TFTP interface to AP.

Thanks for helping me to resolve this situation.

Ok, now I understand your intention.  Your method to accomplish this is not a "smart" way.  

The fastest way is to use the Mode button.  This means that you load an autonomous IOS (any version as long as it's autonomous).  Once the AP boots into autonomous, copy the RCV file into the AP.  It's that simple. 

To load the autonomous IOS using the Mode button, read this:  Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

Yeah I know not best way but so far so good! 

So I'll try your method. Thanks a lot! How controller's interfaces should be configured or I can make factory reset on it?

How controller's interfaces should be configured or I can make factory reset on it?

I don't understand your question.

Do I need to configure controller for that task??

You can give a try & see if this works.

1. Make a copy of  your "ap3g2-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.ja1.tar" file & rename it as "ap3g2-k9w7.tar.default" on your TFTP server.

2. Assign your TFTP server 10.0.0.2/8 with gateway as 10.0.0.1

3. Hold the AP mode button while powering from the WLC POE port (for  `20s & LED turn to solid RED) & then release the mode button.

4. Watch the AP console to see whether it find your TFTP server & download the recovery image.

Process is explained here for a normal case where you can power the AP from an external adapter.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

If two ports of controller acting as dummy switchport, that should work.

HTH

Rasika

**** pls rate all useful responses ****

Alright. Thanks for link. Just got power supply. On the pics above topology how it's connected and what result i still getting! 

See bellow how it's done and why i still failed to boot.

File is "corrupt" or "incomplete" is the most probable explanation. 

Before uploading the file from your TFTP server to your AP, make sure you check the MD5 hash value of the file against the MD5 hash value found in the Cisco website.  

If you've read the document Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release, you don't need to touch the controller.

Alright! Image finally loaded!  

I think it was very helpfull: Step 3 Set the timeout value on the TFTP server to 30 secondsimage loaded

But image failed to boot.

But image failed to boot.

failed to load

How to resolve that problem??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: