cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Regarding multiple ssid on single cisco access point.

jain.manish94
Spotlight
Spotlight

Team I know how to create multiple ssid on single ap. But I want to know how it works, because there is only one bssid then how multiple ssid works for single ap for all the users. How they are separated with each other. Plz reply.

19 Replies 19

Rafael E
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The AP will use the BSSID taken from the radio mac address and as you add SSID i will start increasing that value +1 to have the new BSSID formed.

Example

(2504-Rafis) >show ap wlan 802.11a 1560-rafenriq-MAP

Site Name........................................ default-group
Site Description................................. <none>

WLAN ID Interface BSSID ATF Override ATF Policy ID ATF Policy Name
------- ----------- -------------------------- -------------- -------------- --------------
2 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:4e n/a n/a n/a
3 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:4d n/a n/a n/a
4 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:4c n/a n/a n/a
5 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:4b n/a n/a n/a
6 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:4a n/a n/a n/a
7 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:49 n/a n/a n/a
8 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:48 n/a n/a n/a
9 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:47 n/a n/a n/a
Saludos,
Rafael - TAC

You mean to say.

2 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:4e n/a n/a n/a
3 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:4d n/a n/a n/a
4 management 4c:77:6d:60:87:4c n/a n/a n/a

Here 2 management,  3 management are diff ssid ?

And how bssid is changing ?

I thing this is ap mac right ?

Yes, those were 8 different BSSIDs that he has shown. The difference is the broadcasted MAC address in the frames.
It uses the radio MAC address and then adds +1 on the last two hex based numbers.

can you please give me one example, suppose i have 100 SSID in my production then how it will change if you are talking that last 2 hax digit you mean to say 00000000

Not sure what you mean. But most access points can't offer more than 8 or 16 BSSIDs simultaneously. This restriction is most probably because of the MAC Address of the wireless radio.

Just to add... like what was mentioned, you need to understand the max ssid on the AP is 16 which accounts for the last hexadecimal character 0-9,a-f of the radio MAC address. You can’t have more that 16.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

How is this possible. Here I am using 5500 series wlc and when I create any new ssid it asks for wlan I'd as well which I can select till 512 . That means we can add 512 ssid right?

The WLC can manage more than the 16 SSIDs, but you can't assign more than 16 to an AP-Group. I'm not sure what happens if you try, because you should have as few as possible SSIDs. Don't forget, the AP needs to send Beacon frames for every configured and active SSID, that wastes a lot of airtime (depending on enabled data rates).

Anyway, the more than 16 SSID is for AP Groups.

that wastes a lot of airtime (depending on enabled data rates).

can you please elaborate this line. 

Most vendors will allow your to create a lot of SSID’s, but will not allow more than 16 of a given ap. Best practice is to have less than 3 if possible to reduce the beacons being sent over the air which is overhead which also slows down the network.
-Scott

beacons being sent over the air which is overhead which also slows down the network.

This above concept is not getting clear how beacons cause issue. Plz tell me

Okay... the links provide goes over SSID overhead, so review that and research more. As far as SSID’s, you only are allowed 16 on the AP.
-Scott

Please let me know how

4c:77:6d:60:87:4e

last value is changing how ?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: