Level 1
Level 1

I've inherited an environment with the following:

1 x WLC 4402

20 x AIR-LAP1131AG-A-K9

2 WLANs

Guest (wide open)

Internal (802.1x + WPA2)

I'm new to the controller-based wireless environments.  My question is how do I restrict which WLANs are accessible from a particular AP when all the APs are homed to the same controller? 

TIA.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of code is your WLC running?

Pre 5.2 you would would go into each radio and could enable override and select which WLAN that AP serviced.

Post 5.2 you configure AP groups.  In the AP group, you list all the WLAN you want serviced by particular AP's, then assign the AP's to the group.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of code is your WLC running?

Pre 5.2 you would would go into each radio and could enable override and select which WLAN that AP serviced.

Post 5.2 you configure AP groups.  In the AP group, you list all the WLAN you want serviced by particular AP's, then assign the AP's to the group.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Figured it out shortly after I posted the message.  It's configured at the radio level, not the AP level, which I should've realized.

That's right. But incase you want a particular SSID to be broadcasted on a AP, then create a group and add that AP into that group and while adding you can define what ssid to be broadcasted in that group. Quite simple.

Stephen,

Make sure if you have a backup WLC, that you create the idenitial group on all other WLCs that your aps will attach to. If you do not. They will fall back into default, which means they will broadcast the first 16 on that WLC.

Also the groups are case and space sensitive.

If you create ap group one called > GROUP1 make sure your other WLCs use the same name > GROUP1.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card