Views
Helpful
Replies

RF Group between different Software Version

Philip91
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

i try to build an RF Group between WISM1 ( 7.0.230 Code ) and a WLC 2504 ( 7.4.121.0 Code )

From theoretical side should it be possible, dont it ?

How much time should it take ? Every WLC has Group-Mode "Auto"

How can i troubleshoot it ?

The WLC are all in the same VLAN so no firewall problem

Thanks for help !!!

Kind regards

Philip

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What issue are you seeing? 

Are the AP's able to hear each other?  If they can't then while they are configured to use the same group, they will not actually link up, as there is no need for there to be only one RF leader to make all the channel and power decissions

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah they should hear each other. Shouldn´t the WLC build the RF Group by default?

Its an deployment with around 300 APs and VoIP Survey so they definitely see APs around themselves.

Thast why i am really wondering that they don´t build the RF Group

Any ideas ?

The AP's on both WLC can hear each other?  yes the AP on the WiSM should all hear each other, but that won't build a group if they are all on one WLC.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Yeah thats clear, but on one WLC i have APs from 1st and 4 FLoor. On different WLC i have the same so they should build the RF Group right ?

Hi Philip,

It is not compatible, see the below latest RRM document & it explain this. As per this RRM for 7.2 or later releases is not compatible with any previous versions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7.4/RRM_DG_74.pdf

Here is a snapshot of this document relevent to your query.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses *****

Hella rasika,

Tanks for that painful answer ;-)

Now i am have some problems

We decided to use the 2504 to support the 3600 aps as well as rf profiles

I have a complete environment with my wism1 and now we want to use the 2504 with 6 3602 for a kind of density meeting area
That meeting area is located in the middle of my WLAN environment and I think with no exchange of any rrm information between the WISMs and the 2504 I will go into horrible rrm problems.

Has someone any idea how I could provide some kind of workaround for that , right know I'm out of any ideas

Really Thanks for your help guys :-))

Kind regards

Philip

Btw: it's really nice to have this support forum to exchange informations across any country border, and it really helps me to increase my wireless knowledge day by day

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Phillip,

With that setup of wlc's on different code versions, there is no real workaround using RRM. Knowing this, you can try to enable Avoid Foreign AP Interference which is enabled by default. You can give it a try and see how the channels and power levels adjust.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Philip,

Unfortunately there is no easy workaround, It may be high time to think about replacing WiSM1 & have a plan for that.

I like your PS, yes we are in a "Borderless Network"

Regards

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card