Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ROAMING REAUTHENTICATION

Hello.

I have an installation with two WLC,  a WLC 2100 with 12 AP and a WLC 2504 with 3 AP in the same LAN.

When a client is registered with the WLC2100 AP and roaming  to an AP in 2505 WLC, he  need to register again.

It is possible that client will always be validated in a single WLC and not needs to re-authenticate?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Have you configured both WLC in same mobility group with same virtual IP address on both of them ? As long as both are in same mobility group you should get smooth roaming.

Also what AireOS version running on 2100 & 2504 ?

HTH

Rasika

**** pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Since your questions deals with the Wireless LAN Controller, it may be better to ask your question here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/12168506/wireless-lan-controller-config-analyzer-wlcca

Within the Small Business Portfolio, we do not work with WLC's.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Hi Eric.

I'm sorry.

Thanks for your response.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please paste the outputs of-

debug l2roam [detail | error | packet | all] {enable | disable}

Have you configured both WLC in same mobility group with same virtual IP address on both of them ? As long as both are in same mobility group you should get smooth roaming.

Also what AireOS version running on 2100 & 2504 ?

HTH

Rasika

**** pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika.

The solution was to configure both WLC in the same mobility group.

Thanks for your response.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Ras points out the mobility domain shares client information between both controllers such as authentication and dhcp. The client is a dumb device in that it doesn't know that AP1 is connected to controller 1 and AP2 is connected to controller 2, it only see SSID: Production. When the client moves to the new controller its like a brand new join .. This is why you are having this issue. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card