cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Signal Booster

islj
Level 1
Level 1

Does Cisco make a signal booster product? I need an office setup with wireless access, but i can not run ethernet cable to the office. One floor below and down the hallway i have a Cisco access point, but the signal is 2 weak 2 reach the office that needs wireless signal. Thanks for any input...

5 Replies 5

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Not aware of any cisco signal boosters. Yo may want to consider changing out the antennae on the AP and/or consider wireless bridge or mesh with another AP somewhere between the areas.

Keep in mind that the client radios need to communicate with the AP as well so boosting the signal on one end may not be a feasible solution.

Picture this, You can barely hear someone that is far away and they can barely hear you. Now that person has a megaphone - you can hear them better, but they still cannot hear you very well.

If i put another AP somewhere between access point1 and the far end office, do i have to set access point2 as a bridge or repeater? What type of antennae would give me the best signal?

Thanks!

Think of it this way. A bridge will connect 2 networks (wired) while a repeater will pass along the frames to the root (wired) AP.

If the clients on the other floor are all wireless go with the repeater, otherwise, look at doing a combo of wireless bridging & a repeater. Sorry if I wasn't too clear in the 1st reply.

If i put another AP somewhere between access point1 and the far end office, do i have to set access point2 as a bridge or repeater? What type of antennae would give me the best signal?

AIRONET 1602I

Thanks!

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

Linksys makes one. It's kind of a cheesy solution geared more toward the consumer market. It's basically a repeater that locks onto another AP/SSID. It only needs AC power.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1130267578138&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7813839789B11

We found one on our network and banned its MAC permanently.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: