cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow Handoff Between Access Points

AngryPanda
Level 1
Level 1

I have a single Cisco 2500 series wireless controller and approximately 30 access points that are models AIR-CAP2702E-B-K9 and AIR-CAP2702I-A-K9. The issue that I am experiencing is that an AP will hold onto an established connection even when other APs become much closer in range. There have been times where I have to physically walk out of range of an AP before it will latch to a new AP. I have been able to trick the system into handing off to another AP quicker by forcing an increase in minimum throughput required for a connection, but the AP will still hold that connection to the point where it is still clear a moderately seamless hand-off is not taking place. I am speculating that either something is misconfigured in my Mesh settings, or Mesh has not been setup to begin with. Any advice on the proper configuration of a Mesh network would be very well received.

3 Replies 3

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7
You can eliminate the slow speed connections by turning off 1,5.5, and 11. Depending on how close the APs are, I have seen recommendations on 24 Mbps being the slowest speed allowed. Another possibility is adjusting the RSSI requirement on the controller so that it will require a client to have a certain signal to join an AP.

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7
The main issue is that clients decide when to roam, not the WLAN controller. Please rate helpful posts.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@AngryPanda wrote:

I have a single Cisco 2500 series wireless controller and approximately 30 access points that are models AIR-CAP2702E-B-K9 and AIR-CAP2702I-A-K9. The issue that I am experiencing is that an AP will hold onto an established connection even when other APs become much closer in range. There have been times where I have to physically walk out of range of an AP before it will latch to a new AP. 

This behaviour is well known (and well documented).

The issue is caused by the wireless NIC driver.  If the drivers have never been updated, then what you've describe is the "norm".  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card