cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Antenna Connectors are mandatory for connecting External Antennas on AP3802?

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Experts, 

Can we connect the external Antennas directly on the RP-TNC port on AP3802 or we will require smart Antenna connectors for non-dual band dipole antennas?

Below is the snippet from Getting started guide  and is little confusing for interpretation. 

Say for instance if I need to connect AIR-ANT2566P4W-R=, how can I facilitate the same? Through the Antenna ports on top of AP or through an smart antenna connector?

AP3800 External Antennas.png

2 Replies 2

Hello @Muhammed Adnan

As per the documentation you need adapter but Cisco provide this:

Cisco also provides the following external antenna accessories:

• 5 ft Low Loss RF cable with RP-TNC and N-type Connectors (AIR-CAB005LL-R-N/=). You will
need four of these.
• 2 ft Smart Antenna Connector to RP-TNC Connectors (AIR-CAB002-DART-R=).

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

aleopoldie
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

To clarify ,without using the smart connector, the AP will function as a standard dual band, meaning 2.4 / 5 GHz. You can plugg your antenna AIR-ANT2566P4W-R= on the standard 4 ports RP-TNC of your AP 3802.

But you can also install a 2nd antenna through the Smart connector, in order to have a Dual 5 GHz band, not anymore 2.4 and 5 GHz but 2 x 5 GHz.

To answer your question, it is not mandatory to have smart antenna connector on an AP 2802/3802.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card