Views
Helpful
Replies

Standalone APs vs. Lightweight APs for very small sites

gorazd863
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am proposing a solution for a small site with 3 APs.

My question is whether is worth to have Lighweight solution for such small sites or should I go for standalone APs. ...WLC significalntly increase the price....

Gorazd

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

it depends what you plan.

If you plan to have a config that will not change often and if you plan to have only data clients, then I guess standalone APs are just fine for you.

Voici is also very possible on IOS, but things just gets easier with a WLC. If your main concern is the price, you should be able to do whatever you want with IOS APs.

Nicolas.

Madhuri C
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

For a  small site of 3 APs, autonomous setup should be good enough. Adding to this, certain models of  IOS APs can also be converted to LWAPs if in future you want to implement WLC in your network.

Regards,

Madhuri

I agree with the IOS setup.

You can configure Wireless Domain Infrastructure to make all APs aware of each others and also to improve roaming times.

Please check this Discussion for examples:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2047441?tstart=0.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

If you currently have a wlc somewhere else in your network these small sites can be connected into those wlc's. A wlc is not needed at each site . Using the hreap function  switches traffic locally  instead of sending it all to the wlc , then you can configure the ap's from the remote wlc if needed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card