cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static ARP on 5508

Jim Cook
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to add a static ARP entry onto the 5508 wireless controller? I am having trouble with wireless hosts accessing a server even though they are all on the same subnet. Every other host can reach the server except for the wireless hosts on the 5508. Network Load Balancing is being used for the server and a static arp entry is on our core switch. This fixed all of the other hosts but the wireless hosts are still having issues.

I have searched an am unable to find a way to add a static arp entry on the 5508. When I look in the arp table on the 5508 the server is not listed. Wireless hosts can communicate with every other host on the subnet. This server with Network Load Balancing configured is the only exception.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006558

We are running 7.0.230.0

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 Reply 1

Jim Cook
Level 1
Level 1

If anyone else has this issue, here was the fix.

If the wireless clients and server are on the same subnet you just need to enable multicast on the WLC.

Here is the link that shows how to enable multicast on the WLC.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807cc10d.shtml

You just need to access the GUI of the WLC, then click on Controller, Multicast, Enable Multicast enter a multicast group and Enable broadcast forwarding.

The multicast group address is an IPv4 multicast group and is recommended to be in the 239.x.x.x-239.255.255.255 range which is scoped for private multicast applications.
Do not use the 224.x.x.x, 239.0.0.x or the 239.128.0.x address ranges for the multicast group address. Addresses in these ranges overlap
with the link local MAC addresses and flood all switch ports, even with IGMP snooping enabled.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card