Views
Helpful
Replies

Static assignment of RF lgroup leader and FRA

CiaranB
Level 1
Level 1

Current setup:

2 x 8540 in HA SSO 8.3.120.0 (2000+ APs)

2 x 8510 in HA SSO 8.5.140.0 (test controller but currently has 150+ APs on it)

Both 8540 and 8510 in the same RF domain.

Recently deployed Cisco 2800s in a new building – APs registered on test WLC8510 controller.

FRA is currently enabled on test controller but we have been surprised with some of the results. So, the plan is to leave FRA enabled globally but turned off on the APs (as per best practice recommendations and which we should have done in the first instance).

We will then look at the information gathered (Monitor -> Access points -> radios -> Dual-band radios) and then manually set XOR radios to 5ghz where appropriate.

However, much of the information, such as COF and Suggested Mode, is listed as 'Unavailable'. FRA operation state is also listed as Down. It appears to be related to the RF leader changing or not always being the same for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

(Cisco Controller) >show advanced fra status

FRA State........................................ Enabled
FRA Operation State.............................. Down
.............................. (RF group leader for 802.11b/g & 802.11a bands are not same, or 11a DCA mode is not auto)
FRA Sensitivity.................................. high (90%)
FRA Interval..................................... 1 Hour(s)
Service Priority................................. Coverage

Recommendation is to set RF leader to static. However when i set either of the controllers to static and attempt to add the other controller to the RF group, two things happen. Firstly the 'Maximum/Current number of AP' figure changes to 6000/6000 and the IP address of the WLC I’m trying to add to the group as non-leader is listed as Invalid:

rf group leader issue.png

Anyone advice on setting RF group leader to static?

Anyone any advice regarding FRA in general, particularly its use in HD versus office spaces?

many thanks,

Ciaran

1 Reply 1

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I have FRA enabled in an educational environment, so far with good results.
RRM between an 5520 SSO 8.5.140.0 and a 3504 8.8.121.0 is working, but FRA is also down at the 3504 (error: (RF group leader for 802.11b/g & 802.11a bands are not same, or 11a DCA mode is not auto)). DCA looks to be identically configured and on Auto and group-leader is also the same for both bands.
Anyway, never bothered to really spend time with that, as the 3504 is only my test WLC with just a few APs connected.
I suggest you open a TAC for this. My gut tells me it's a software bug.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card