Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport configuration for Point to Point bridge in multi mesh environment

Jonathan_H
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I am new to Cisco products and have been learning from my senior. However, we have been having an issue with our multi-mesh environment. I will say thank you for your time up here since there is a wall of text below. 

Environment:

WLC: 5520 running 8.5.140

Mesh 1: BGN: YardMesh | 1532E RAPs and 1562E MAPs. 1532E are connected to 2960x switches. 17 RAP devices, 8 MAP devices. VLAN 778

Mesh 2: BGN: GuardShack | Point to Point bridge serving guard house. 1562D on both ends. RAP is connected to stacked 2960X, MAP is connected to 2960X. VLAN 779. Link distance is approximately 1300 ft.

The issue we are having is two-fold. Initially we could not get the GuardShack MAP to connect to the RAP as a child, instead it was connecting to a MAP in YardMesh. We also could not send and internet traffic over the bridge. At that time, we did not have YardMesh set as a BGN, so we added it and then put the GuardShack group on a separate VLAN. I then configured the switchport mode of YardMesh RAPs to trunk, as they were configured as access on the connected switch. 

After applying the above changes  I connected the GuardShack MAP and within minutes all of the RAPs in YardMesh had their connected switchports disabled due to BPDU Guard. It seemed to only affect the RAPs that were in line of site to the GuardShack MAP. However, the GuardShack MAP saw the correct RAP as it's parent and was joined to the WLC. However we still could not pass internet traffic across the bridge. I unplugged the GuardShack MAP and re-enabled the YardMesh RAP switchports.

I need help getting everything working correctly. 

Switchport config for YardMesh RAPs:

description RAP
switchport trunk allowed vlan 778
switchport trunk native vlan 778
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast edge trunk

Switchport config for GuardShack RAP and MAP:

description Bridge
switchport trunk allowed vlan 51,210,400,779
switchport trunk native vlan 779
switchport mode trunk
srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5
priority-queue out
mls qos trust dscp
auto qos trust dscp

WLC has the following settings related to Mesh:

Backhaul client access enabled (5 GHz)

VLAN transparent disabled globally

For GuardShack RAP and MAP, they are configured on the WLC:

Ethernet Bridging Enabled

Mode: Trunk

Native VLAN ID: 779

Allowed VLANs: 51 (Network Equipment), 210 (VOIP - LAN), 400 (Data - Wired)

VLAN Support Enabled

Native VLAN ID: 779

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card