Views
Helpful
Replies

Synchronizing configuration between WLCs

Julian Ortiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

New to Cisco Wireless world, though experienced with other vendors. While studing the "Understanding Controller Discovery" chapter in the "CCNA Wireless OCG", I see several controllers can coexist within a network, and APs can move from one to another in case of failures. The idea is to have all the controllers with the same configuration in order to maintain the APs working the same before and after of a controller's failure (i.e. same SSIDs, same transmit power, etc.). How is this accomplished? One controller acts as master controller and pushes its configuration to the rest which act as slaves? Or is this done through Cisco Prime? Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Julián

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Julián.

As mentioned before prime is used to keep the WLC config synced between the controllers if you are running a N+1.
In a HA the config is synced between the WLCs but if I read your post correctly you are planning for a N+1 deployment.

So, for SSID's, AP-groups, RF-profiles, Flexconnect groups and when configure batches of APs Prime is a must in my opinion.

I also saw that you mentioned transmit power, I will include channel in this also. Power (TCP) and Channel assignment (DCA) is in most cases put as dynamic so the WLC will calculate what’s best for any given circumstances. This is not synced between the WLCs using prime. Instead the WLCs needs to have the same RF Group Name configured. That way they will decide on a RF Group Leader, so even if the APs on a site is on different WLCs they can decide on what power and channel they should use and coexist much better.
On top of that the WLCs should also be in the same Mobility domain so client databases and so on is synced between the WLCs for better client roaming in the case of a client roaming from one AP on WLC1 to an AP residing on WLC2.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All the controllers in the same mobility domain you will want to make sure the following are the same otherwise you will run into issues when an AP moves between them at a minimum:

WLAN IDs for each SSID, and their configurations

AP Groups

Flexconnect Groups

RF Profiles / RF Settings

The easiest way to make sure that all these are the same is using Prime, other options would be writing a script to push to each WLC

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
As Haydn wrote, through Prime if you have many WLCs.
If it's just 2 or 3, you can also do it manually, just configure each WLC the same (besides Hostname and IP addresses).
If you use HA SSO, then the standby WLC with be synchronized with the Master WLC.

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Julián.

As mentioned before prime is used to keep the WLC config synced between the controllers if you are running a N+1.
In a HA the config is synced between the WLCs but if I read your post correctly you are planning for a N+1 deployment.

So, for SSID's, AP-groups, RF-profiles, Flexconnect groups and when configure batches of APs Prime is a must in my opinion.

I also saw that you mentioned transmit power, I will include channel in this also. Power (TCP) and Channel assignment (DCA) is in most cases put as dynamic so the WLC will calculate what’s best for any given circumstances. This is not synced between the WLCs using prime. Instead the WLCs needs to have the same RF Group Name configured. That way they will decide on a RF Group Leader, so even if the APs on a site is on different WLCs they can decide on what power and channel they should use and coexist much better.
On top of that the WLCs should also be in the same Mobility domain so client databases and so on is synced between the WLCs for better client roaming in the case of a client roaming from one AP on WLC1 to an AP residing on WLC2.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the clarification, much clear :)

Regards,

Julián

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card