Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslogging on WLC for custom webauth bundle

Tim Verscheure
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently created a WLAN for guest users. They would have to "register" themselves by entering an emailadress. After this they get access to guest WLAN for a number of hours. My question: In the logs of our syslog server I don't see any of these registrations. How can I enable this or what is needed to do this?

kind regards,

tverscheure

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

H Tim,

Im afraid you cant get a trap for the email. If you look under management / snmp / trap controls you can see the trap list the wlc can trap on. Perhaps there is MIB that can me used?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try to set your syslog level to informational and see if you see the logs come through.

Here is a link on configuring the WLC syslog just in case

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6307/products_configuration_example09186a00809a2d76.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Tim,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

In order to configure the WLC for syslog servers with the GUI, complete these steps from the Wireless LAN Controller GUI.

1.Choose MANAGEMENT > Logs > Config to navigate to this page.

2.Enter the syslog server IP address and click Add.

3.Under Syslog Level, set the severity level to filter syslog messages to the syslog servers.

4.Under Syslog Facility, set the facility for outbound syslog messages to the syslog servers.

5.Click Apply.

For more information refer to the link-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6307/products_configuration_example09186a00809a2d76.shtml

Hope this will help you.

+5 Abhishek .. Keep up the good work!

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Hi Abhishek,

thanks for the great reply! However, I know how to add syslog servers. Its just that I am not getting any messages on the server. Could there be facility level mismatch? Where do I check this?

kind regards

Tim,

Welcome to CSC.

To be frank, syslong on a WLC isnt as robust as Cisco IOS. In fact, it lacks a lot of detail. In most cases to get client connection you need to look at TRAPS. You can feed traps and syslog together in like solarwinds.

Make sure you have traps enabled. Check under SNMP in the WLC.

Hi George,

thanks for the answer. Indeed, you are correct, traps are indeed generated. But they are created when I connect to the AP, which is OK but I would also like to generate a trap when the guest user fills in its emailaddress. Because now, when I associate myself with the WLAN, this gets logged as:

Client Authenticated: MAC Address:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:ad base Radio MAC:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Slot: 1 User Name:unknown IP Addr:x.x.x.x SSID:Temp Guest

This is indeed as expected because at the time of association with the AP, I haven't provided any emailaddress yet. This only happens when I open a browser... Any ideas?

H Tim,

Im afraid you cant get a trap for the email. If you look under management / snmp / trap controls you can see the trap list the wlc can trap on. Perhaps there is MIB that can me used?

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card