cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transmitting Distances

Kynnzak
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any good resources to help determine what the maximum transmission distances are for the various Cisco internal and external antenna models?

I have been looking everywhere and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

2 Replies 2

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Kynnzak,

An antenna is a passive gain and distance depends on many factors. For example, transmisson power of the radio, dBi gain of the antenna, shape of the signal. Hard to anwser that question, this is why surveys are done.

Do you have something more specific in mind ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks George,

Yeah, I get all that.  But there has to be something, somewhere that has a "base line" or "if all things are equal" starting point that can help to determine the distance ranges for each antenna.

I mean, how do we know that the Yagi can go over a mile?  Do we simply setup the AP and antenna, and start walking until we lose signal? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card