cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to add 1815i to 2802i running Mobility Express

Doug Williams
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2802i-B-K9 running mobility Express up and running just fine.

I am not trying to expand my coverage by adding a 1815i-B-K9 to a part of the office that has low coverage.

I can connect to the 2802i via the moble app, but I can't connect via a browser. The 2802i is being powered via PoE+ switch via the POE switch. The mgmt port on the 2802i is not connected to the PoE+ switch.

Please advise how I can add the 1815i to my network.

Thanks

18 Replies 18

Masato Ueoka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The master AP facilitates transfer of image from TFTP to the new AP which is added.
Please refer this section to add new AP.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-2/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide_chapter_01010.html

Am I supposed to connect to the master AP via a browser through the mgmt IP or the physical IP?

And am I supposed to have Ethernet connected to the mgmt port on the 2802i?

Even in mobility express, please use management IP address like WLC.

WLC ?

Does there need to be a connection to the mgmt port ?

sorry WLC = Cisco wireless lan controller

So I went with Mobility Express so I wouldn't have to buy a Wireless LAN Controller to control my AP's

I was under the impression I could manage all my Cisco AP's running Mobility Express via browser configuration.

Is there not the ability to manage and add AP's to my network without having a dedicated Wireless Lan Controller?

Hi Doug,

As long as all your APs are in the same layer 2 broadcast domain and the management traffic is not tagged yes you can manage the APs via the web browser using the Mobility Express controller built into the 2802i.

Have you followed the setup of the Mobility Express Controller guide located here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/83/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide_83/b_ME_User_Guide_83_chapter_01000.html

The guide has how to initially setup the Mobility Express Controller to allow APs to register to it, it also has  steps on how to get the APs to associate with the Mobility Express Controller.

Are you trying to register a 1815i to the Mobility Express Controller? That model AP is not listed as a supported Subordinate AP for Mobility Express so it might not be able to register to it.

Take a look at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-2/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide_chapter_01.html under supported APs the 1815i is not listed:

Access Points supported as Subordinate APs

Supported Model Numbers

Cisco Aironet 700i Series

·       AIR-CAP702I- x-K9

Cisco Aironet 700w Series

·       AIR-CAP702W- x-K9

Cisco Aironet 1600 Series

·       AIR-CAP1602I-x-K9

·       AIR-CAP1602E-x-K9

Cisco Aironet 1700 Series

·       AIR-CAP1702I- x-K9

Cisco Aironet 1800 Series

·       AIR-AP1832I-x-K9C

·       AIR-AP1852I-x-K9C

·       AIR-AP1852E-x-K9C

Cisco Aironet 2600 Series

·       AIR-CAP2602I-x-K9

·       AIR-CAP2602E-x-K9

Cisco Aironet 2700 Series

·       AIR-CAP2702I-x-K9

·       AIR-CAP2702E-x-K9

Cisco Aironet 3600 Series

·       AIR-CAP3602I-x-K9

·       AIR-CAP3602E-x-K9

Cisco Aironet 3700 Series

·       AIR-CAP3702I-x-K9

·       AIR-CAP3702E-x-K9

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Haydn,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the information.  I think you may have solved my problem.

I was trying to add the 1815i as a subordinate AP, but I see that I won't be able to do that.

Is there a list of subordinate AP's that I can add to my 2802i?

Also, I was able to connect via browser to my 2802i.  I tried another computer that wasn't as locked down as my main one, and I was able to connect.

Thanks

Doug

The only list I have seen is the one on this page:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/83/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide_83/about_mob_exp.html

I'm guessing new models that support it might be listed under their own datasheet, or the release notes for the Mobility Express Code.

If you happen to have/ know a Cisco SE they might be able to get a more definitive list. 

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

The only list I have seen is the one on this page:

ME User Guide

I'm guessing new models that support it might be listed under their own datasheet, or the release notes for the Mobility Express Code.

If you happen to have/ know a Cisco SE they might be able to get a more definitive list. 

AP2802 has 2 ethernet ports
You should connect POE port to your Switch that port has management IP address to access mobility express GUI.

If you want to access CLI , you should use Cisco console cable and connect to mgmt port ( serial console port).

So after doing more investigating, I see that the 1815i CAN be a subordinate Access Point to the 2802i, per the chart on page 3 of the Mobility Express Deployment Guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-6/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_6.pdf

Can someone please confirm this is accurate....

THanks 

Doug

Hi Doug,

What version are you running on the Mobility Express Controller?
Looks like the 1815I was only added in 8.4 or later code.

HI Haydn, 

Thanks again for your help.  I am running 8.4.100.0 on my 2802i

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: