cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Turn off access point on demand.

bfonseca1
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with a 2504 WLC and 1142 WAP. I have a couple deployed out to remote offices across the country and would like to turn them on only when I need them. Seems if I turn the admin status to disabled, it also disables the radio and you cannot connect to the SSID even if you have the settings already saved on your computer. Is there a better way to turn the access points on and off or is this acceptable.

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why would you want to turn the AP's off?  There is no command in the WLC to do that, as you would have to disable the admin or the ssid and enable it when you want it back on.  You can create time based acls on your switch, but you would have to research that depending on the switch platform you have.  There are switches that are GREEN and youcan power off and on ports in a certain time, but then you would need one of those switches.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Since they are in offices that only need them on at specific times, I figured it would be one less vector for someone to exploit. I just wasn't sure that by disabling the admin status would it create any issues with turning them back up at some point.

The problem with that is that what happens when someone comes in early or works late.... thats why its not really prefered in many cases.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

One of the things I'd be doing is linking your SSID to an authentication server.

That way, only  staff can have access to the wireless network at any time of the day.

Anything else, "turning off the wireless when you see fit" is simply counterproductive. 

SSID is already linked to an authentication server and I can absolutely agree on your points. When the WAPS are only used once or twice a year depending on influx of employees in those remote offices, which are only there for a couple of weeks, the ability to turn them off the rest of the time, from a security standpoint is worth it.

SSID is already linked to an authentication server and I can absolutely agree on your points. When the WAPS are only used once or twice a year depending on influx of employees in those remote offices, which are only there for a couple of weeks, the ability to turn them off the rest of the time, from a security standpoint is worth it.

Hmmmm ... Then you have but two choices.

1.  Completely turn off the power of the AP when not in use.  If your APs are running on PoE, then issueing the command "power inline never" will kill it.

2.  Disable authentication to wireless using AD.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

Please try the below commands to disable the access-points

(Cisco Controller) config>ap led-state disable lab1131

(Cisco Controller) config>ap led-state disable all

Hope this will help you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card