cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two AP with the same name join WLC

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi there are two APs, which have the same name. If the first one already join the WLC, do you think the second one still can join the WLC? Thank you

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

In some case i  have seen two access points with the same name join the controller but the second access point to join will show the mac address as the name i.e. the AP name field will be a mac address.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

@johnd2310 I Agree :)

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi showipinterface,

I got interested and did a lab to test this.

The AP will join but it will revert the AP name to the default name: APaaaa.bbbb.cccc

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

5 Replies 5

Hi @wfqk 

Corrected aftr testing: it will join and change the name to default as APmacaddress

Also if you are trying to change the hostname of AP joined to a controller with same hostname of another AP it will give you a error "Error: Cannot set a duplicate AP Name"

Regards,

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

In some case i  have seen two access points with the same name join the controller but the second access point to join will show the mac address as the name i.e. the AP name field will be a mac address.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

@johnd2310 I Agree :)

Regards,

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi showipinterface,

I got interested and did a lab to test this.

The AP will join but it will revert the AP name to the default name: APaaaa.bbbb.cccc

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

Thank you all!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card