cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two different SSIDs using the same VLAN interface, but having two diffrent signal ranges

qualxarnu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Recently I've encountered on a problem where I have two different SSIDs configured on the Wireless LAN Controller. However both are using the same VLAN interface thus they use the same subnet. There is configured like this, because one SSID will soon replace the other one. One WLAN has a different method of authentication, but this method is configured on the RADIUS server, thus in fact they are the same WLANs. The same in terms of configuration on WLC. The only difference on WLC is the SSID and the one network doesn't broadcast SSID. Both are added to the same AP Groups, thus are broadcasted by the same Access Points, but what is strange, PCs using these WLANs detects that one WLAN has better signal strength while other has worse signal. It was not measured yet by any application. This will be done soon, however Windows shows more signal bars for one WLAN but less for others.
Can someone give a hint, why such thing is happening? What can cause that?

4 Replies 4

Hi

Doen´t make sense they show different signal level.  Not saying they are not.  As you already states, it is importante to mesure this with different tools rather than windows.  

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

The same thing I think, both WLANs should be broadcasted with the same signal strength, but I was curious if Windows shows such thing, then it's possible that something might interfere and in a result gives lower signal strength for one WLAN. But I know that broadcasting power is configured via 802.11 standard not via WLAN.

That´s right. Make no sense.  Considering windows is not reliable as a RF tool, I´d prefer mesure it with some RF tools to make sure.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@qualxarnu wrote:

Windows shows more signal bars for one WLAN but less for others.
Can someone give a hint, why such thing is happening? What can cause that?

I think this is the "application" (or not) attempting to measure the RSSI.  Windows "native" WLAN application is not a suitable tool to measure RSSI.  It's main function is to tell you if there is wireless or not. 

There are several free WiFi "analyzer" tools in the Windows Store that can be used.  

Also, make sure the reading is consistently taken from the same AP.  If there are more than one AP broadcasting the SSIDs then there will be issues.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card