Helpful
Replies

Unclear wireless clients behavior

slyfox
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have WLC 3504 ios 8.8.120.0 + set of AIR-CAP3702I-E-K9

From time to time, clients experience problems connecting to a wireless network. Two identical twin laptops can be a meter away from the access point and on one there will be everything OK and on the other there are communication problems.

Laptops equipped with Intel AC 9560.

Event log for problem laptop attached.

24 Replies 24

So with a smartphone, the ping drops doesn't occur. Is that correct?

mobile devices connect only to the guest network and are not the main business devices. Since I can’t repeat the problem even on a usually PC, I can’t say that there are no problems on the mobile.

A mobile device can use the GSM connection automatically if there is no connection via a wi-fi network without notifying the user.

You need to test with other devices and isolate if the issue is with a device with the same NIC or not. If that is the case, then it’s a driver issue. We have seen things like that in the past and you have to wait until another version is available. If this happens to all your devices, then it’s probably an issue with the code or your configuration. Create a test ssid that is basic, open, then pSK then 802.11x and see if one works and others don’t. This way you can probably reproduce the issue and you have isolated the issue further.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Test the smart phones with the wireless.
If the issue cannot be replicated with the smart phone, tablet or any other wireless client, then everything points to the wireless driver (just as Scott has said).

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Following your debug log(s) , you may want to feed them into the Wireless Debug Analyzer available from the link below.  You may also want to have a look at the Wireless Config Analyzer  - WCAE and or the Wireless Lan Config Analyzer (WLCCA). Have your configuration analyzed, check advisories and or correct errors :

https://developer.cisco.com/docs/wireless-troubleshooting-tools/#!wireless-troubleshooting-tools/wireless-troubleshooting-tools

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

This is very similar to an issue I have in our foreign offices. We have 2504's and Cap2602I,s but updating to 3504's to hopefully fix the issue.

We seem to see the same issue with Intel wireless. A device seems to be connected, but can't go anywhere and can last up to 2 hours. It's extremely random and hard to recreate, but I was able to get it to happen a couple times to a test device.

From packet captures and debugs, I can see it being a ping/DHCP issue. It seems that Intel devices ping the default gateway every few seconds. I think this is to detect a vlan change cause if it misses 5 pings, it kicks off DHCP. Now, what I saw is the WLC sent the request, and got the response from the DHCP server, but a packet capture on the device showed no response from the server and if you do ipconfig, you should see the computer with a default 169 address. I worked with TAC on this and they blamed it on Intel and closed the case.

A month or so down the road, I got it to happen again, and this time had a sniffer to see the wireless traffic. I could see the DHCP response on the WLC, but the sniffer was not seeing the packet being broadcast, so it proved it's a Cisco issue.

It also seems to be with 802.1x or higher auth as a hotspot with a psk never had the issue.

My downside is out support lapsed as we are upgrading to 3504's, so I can't open another ticket until I see the same issue on the new controllers. We had the issue on 8.5 code, and I was hoping the 8.8 code had fixed it. The weird issue is I have never seen it in our main facilities, but we have 2802's and 4800's in those, so may be with the older APs.

@Dustin Anderson what ios you run 3504 ?

2504 was on 8.3, and 8.5. I'm trying 8.8.125 on the 3504. I haven't heard if the problem went away or not.

It would be interesting to know. Moving to different platform on the same code and config should have the same results 99% of the time.
-Scott

I have ran 2504/5508/3504 all on 8.5.140.0 and 8.5.151.0 with no issues. Also ran the 3504 and 5520 on v8.10 with no issue but with 3600/3700/3800/4800, depending on code. What you experience is very familiar to a bad driver. You can test with a new driver or even an older one if using one of the latest. Also using an external USB to test can help isolate the issue to the internal NIC.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: