Views
Helpful
Replies

UNII-3 Europe / Germany

mareksumny
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I would like to clarify the usage of UNII-3 bandwidth in Europe.

According to documents and also from my experience in Europe it is not allowed to use UNII-3 bandwidth,

but looking at cisco doc for example 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/emob41dg/emob41dg-wrapper/ch3_WLAN.html

sentence 1 Some EMEA countries, such as Denmark and Germany, are limited to 20 mW 

and also in Wikipedia I have found that for example in Germany it is allowed to use UNII-3 channels but only as SRD (25 mW max) .

Also, I have seen a presentation from another vendor using in Germany UNII-3 channels for 802.11ac with 25mW max transmit power.  In Cisco Germany should be the same Countre Code E as in Europe.

I also checked in Slovakia our regulatory and in UNII-3 band it is allowed only SRD devices /with max 25mW/ not mentioned RLAN.

Every country in Europe should have the same rules according to ETSI. So people in Germany or UK or Denmark, do you use UNII-3 band?

Thanks for clarification

Marek

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Yours is an interesting question I have been talking to some Cisco representatives a few months ago.

UNII-3 (properly named RLAN band 3 under ETSI domain) can be used in ETSI regulatory domain. This is also allowed to be used in the European Union countries as per ERC Recommendation 70-03 (RE Directive (2014/53/EU)).

Other vendors are providing access to those channels in their products, but becuase of some countries within ETSI domain, Cisco is blocking the use in all EU countries (i.e. in UK you have to pay a small fee to use them).

Is Cisco going to provide access to RLAN-3 channels based on country code instead using ETSI regulatory domain as a whole? Only time will tell.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please Rate Helpful Responses ***  

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I can only answer for Switzerland. If the WLC is set to CH, you don't even get the UNII-3 channels for selection. I'm also fairly certain that those channels are blocked in the -E AP models firmware. 

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Yours is an interesting question I have been talking to some Cisco representatives a few months ago.

UNII-3 (properly named RLAN band 3 under ETSI domain) can be used in ETSI regulatory domain. This is also allowed to be used in the European Union countries as per ERC Recommendation 70-03 (RE Directive (2014/53/EU)).

Other vendors are providing access to those channels in their products, but becuase of some countries within ETSI domain, Cisco is blocking the use in all EU countries (i.e. in UK you have to pay a small fee to use them).

Is Cisco going to provide access to RLAN-3 channels based on country code instead using ETSI regulatory domain as a whole? Only time will tell.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please Rate Helpful Responses ***  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card