cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading AP license on WLC in HA

xtreme
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to Upgrade AP license on WLC in HA. According to Cisco, the HA has to be broken before the license file can be installed on the primary.

How do I login to to the then standby controller after HA is broken? (same account as the primary or default credential)

Will the mobilitymac  on the primary remain the same when I re-enable HA on both boxes?

Any idea, suggestion or relevant documentation will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Abi.

12 Replies 12

Hi, Sorry not quite clear whether you are setting up HA AP SSO or whether you are just increasing the license count.

Anyway if you just trying to setup HA AP SSO, you should have to have a controller with a HA part number(like this AIR-CT5508-HA-K9) otherwise you have to have license count over 50 to convert a standard controller to be standby

take a look here

Cheers 

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath

Hi Preranda,

Thanks for the info. We have SSO enabled in our environment. We are running a active/standy(HA-sku) config. I need to break the SSO to install additional AP license on the primary according to cisco. So if I do break it, How do I log in to the standby after disabling SSO (same account as the primary or default credential). though I know I need console access. Secondly, while pairing them up back will the primary retain its current mobility mac? Any info will be appreciated.

It'll be bit silly if you have to do that,where did you find that?however I never needed to install ap adder licenses on a HA pair to be sure.perhaps someone else who did that could shed some light here

As far I could see you only need to install the licenses on the active WLC. see these links link1 link2 .If you have any doubts or running into issues I reccomed you to log a TAC case

-Prabath

Thanks for the response Preranda. That was my thought too initially but Cisco docs says otherwise. please see the link below .

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/wireless-services-module-2-wism2/117729-configure-wlan-00.html

I am open to other suggesstions if any.

Regards,

Abi.

No worries,I also came across this post which leads to the same page that you are referring.I suggest to log a TAC to clarify anyway.As for the MAC,have a look in most cases it'll be the MAC of the primary controller,if a custom one hasn't been configured manually

-Prabath

Yea, a custom mobility mac is configured. Am hoping the primary will retain it in case of re-enabling SSO.

just verify that before you pair it again and you should be able to reconfigure that if required anyway.please see here in the "SSO Deployment in Mobility Setup section" for more info

Please rate any useful replies 

-Prabath

Yea, I will. Many thanks.

Regards,

Abi.

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order to add new licenses to the primary WLC of HA and avoid any conflict that might occur in the network.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/wireless-services-module-2-wism2/117729-configure-wlan-00.html

Thanks for the link Mohanak.

Regards,

Abi.

fdimauro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

were you able to add new license without break the SSO?

Can you please share your procedure and experience?

thanks

Hi,

This might not be useful anymore considering my late response. Just seeing it now. Just in case it might help someone else. Yes I did break the SSO, install the license and pair them up again. The controller was a 5508 but it seems adding license on 5520 is much more easier now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: