Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading network from Cisco Aironet AP2602i/3602e slowly C9115AXI

PBethek3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

First and foremost, I wanted to say, due to the budget, we are not able to upgrade all at once, however, I would love it if we could. 

We have been having issues with some of our Aironet 2602i access points dropping clients, losing packets, and a few other mysterious issues. I have gotten approval to go ahead and upgrade some of our access points to current generation equipment, being the Catalyst AP C9115AXI-B, with a single AP C9115AXI-EWC-B as the controller. We are currently running our aironets off of a WLC5508. Which does not support the C9115 access points, and vice-versa with the C9800 controller embedded in the EWC. 

How would you recommend setting up a scenario like this? Whenever the EWC is connected to the main network that houses the aironets, the aironet aps drop connection to the WLC and try to join the EWC. Which is rejected, and then after that, it rejoins only to keep attempting this for as long as they are on the same network. The C9115 access points do not try and join the WLC5508, which is fine because they are not supported anyways. My thought was that I could have the EWC and access points on a seperate subnet, but any clients need to have a back and forth communication with equipment on the subnet that houses the WLC5508 and the access points. I can have the clients join the network and have routing setup from the spare subnet to talk to the 44 subnet (WLC subnet) but not the other way around without running into issues with the Aironets trying to join the EWC.

I came into a poor network situation and due to running almost 24/7 I am not able to go ahead and rework the network except for holidays and the rare day off for everyone else. 

Thank you in advance for your help,

I really do appreciate it.

~P3

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Makes it easy.
If DHCP Option 43 is configured, make sure the EWC details are in it.
The classic Aeronet APs will not be able to join the EWC so, based on DHCP Option 43 means there is only one other WLC left to join, the APs will go to the 5508.
The new AX APs will not be able to join the 5508 so, based on DHCP Option 43 means there is only one other WLC left to join, the APs will join the EWC.

Having finally gotten a bit of downtime to further work on this issue, I configured option 43 with : 

f108c0a82c08c0a82c07

Which should be what we needed, I thought. However, I'm still having issues. Should only the EWC be in there? That's the only thing I can think of from the context of your reply..?

Thanks in advance!

No, this is correct. The AP will now first try to contact the first WLC and if that doesn't work (not compatible software) it should try to contact the next WLC. This will take some minutes.

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Please note, if you want mobility between the two, make sure to run a fully supported build on the old WLC:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html#anc9
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card