cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using AP 1602 as Mesh

leej48
Level 1
Level 1

I have current wireless infrastructure with cisco 3600 and 2700 APs and would like to set one 1602 AP to be mesh or repeater so it can be mobile. currently it's getting an error message of non WPAv2 PSK.

Do I need to set one AP to be a Root AP and set 1602 to be a Mesh AP?

Need advice / help please.

24 Replies 24

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3

If your AP's are managed by a WLC you will need to have at least one AP set up a RAP, this will be connected to your wired network and then the 1602 AP as a MAP.

You will need to change the mode of the AP's from local to bridge mode, also ensure you add their mac addresses to the MAC filter list as the will not join the WLC once you made the change.

Below is configuration examples of setting up a mesh deployment.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1522-lightweight-outdoor-mesh-access-point/113678-wlan-mesh-config-ex.html

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>

If your AP's are managed by a WLC you will need to have at least one AP set up a RAP, this will be connected to your wired network and then the 1602 AP as a MAP.

--I do have existing APs connected WLC and that certain number of APs will be set as Root AP. (depends)

1602 AP will be powered by POE and will be stand alone and won't be connected to WLC. So it will be set as Mesh AP and get signal from the ceiling mounted AP and pass along the signal.

You will need to change the mode of the AP's from local to bridge mode, also ensure you add their mac addresses to the MAC filter list as the will not join the WLC once you made the change.

--Which AP needs to be set as bridge? 1602, right? dd 1602's MAC address on WLC?

In order for an AP to support RAP of MAP, you will need to set it to bridge mode, so at a minimum, you will need at least two AP's in bridge mode (one for RAP and one for MAP).

So you are saying Root AP and Mesh AP both needs to be set as bridge mode, not local.

Basically all the AP that will be associated with the topology, correct?

Correct,

You won’t be able to get the Root AP or Mesh AP feature is the AP is not in bridge mode.

That''s what i thought.

I will constantly update the thread if i running into an issue.

With AP being Bridge mode, it can still do same function as local mode correct?

also, where can i add mac address so it WLC has it? does it needs to be added in CLI or GUI?

@Jurgens L 

To add the mac address can be done via GUI or CLI:

Security > AAA > MAC Filtering

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1522-lightweight-outdoor-mesh-access-point/113678-wlan-mesh-config-ex.html#add

config macfilter add ap_mac wlan_id

A Bridge mode AP will allow clients to associate to them like a local mode AP, it will then send the traffic to the RAP which will then follow the WLAN configuration (local or central switched)

By default it will use the 5GHz radio for mesh backhall and 2.4GHz for clients, this can be changed to allow clients to connect to the backhall radio, but be careful as wireless is a shared medium and this could cause backhall issues.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the 1602 is going to be supporting wired clients behind it look at this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/service-set-identifier-ssid/211293-Configure-Work-Group-Bridge-WGB-Multip.html

I would also look at the WGB if the device is going to move around to save you having to configure all the APs it would need to connect to as RAPs

If its just going to be an AP with clients connecting to it, where you cant get a physical cable to it so you want it to back hall the data look at this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1522-lightweight-outdoor-mesh-access-point/113678-wlan-mesh-config-ex.html

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

I don't think I need WGB. 1602 AP will be only supporting only one client or three the most.

Is the 1602 going to be static or mobile?

Is it going to need any wired clients connecting to it?

AP will directly plugged into a device, so AP will act like a hub. is it possible?

leej48
Level 1
Level 1

@Haydn Andrews @Jurgens L 

What i found out is that, AP will get power with power module. AP will grab a signal from the existing wireless infrastructure and it will connect directly to a device and it will provide a connectivity for the device only.

Does still follows the same steps? change mode of AP, assign RAP and MAP and then add MAC address to WLC?

@Haydn Andrews @Jurgens L 

Got a quick question.

So i set AP1602 as workgroup bridge. does that mean other AP can be set as local mode? or needs to be change to bridge and assigned as Root AP?

I'm getting this error message,

what does [None WPAv2 PSK] error message mean?

%DOT11-4-UPLINK_DOWN: Interface Dot11Raido0, parent lost: received disassociate (1) failure

%DOT11-4-UPLINK_ESTABLISHED: Interface Dot11Raido0, Associated to AP NAME_MAC and then [None WPAv2 PSK]

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: