cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMs cannot receive IP address via DHCP through ME AP

MaxFisher925
Level 1
Level 1

We have an issue that a VM within VirtualBox on a MacBook is failing to get an IP address via DHCP served by a Cisco 2911 router when connected to a WLAN being serviced by 2 1832 APs running Mobility Express 8.10.105.0.

Our physical lab setup:

2x WAPs (1832): WAP1 connects to Switch 2 (Cisco 2960-X), WAP2 connects to Switch 3 (Cisco 2960L)

3x Switches:      

1. Switch 1 (ME-3400E) connects to the router (Cisco 2911 – DHCP server) and to Switch 2 (2960-X)
  2. Switch 2 connects to Switch 1, Switch 3 and WAP1
  3. Switch 3 connect to Switch 2, WAP2 and a wired client for management

DHCP works for the VM when connected to one of the switches using the same VLAN served by the WLAN.

DHCP also works for the VM when we connect to a WLAN served by the same model AP but with a stand alone WLC with passive client enabled.

We have enabled passive client on the 1832 ME WLC however we fail to get an IP address via DHCP.

When debugging the DHCP traffic, the discover messages are getting to the router.  However the DHCP offer from the router is not getting to the VM client.  No traffic arriving at the Macbook has a destination MAC of the VM as if it is getting stripped or dropped at the AP.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You are better off opening up a TAC case. Passive client is required for bridging VM’s, however it is not working for you. You have another machine maybe running Fusion or Parallels to test?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We do have a TAC case open but have yet to make any headway.  I figured opening a thread would be useful for extra input and I can update with a solution/cause later.

We don't have any other virtualization solutions, we moved away from fusion per our client's request.

Ah I see. I run both really for testing, but I don’t have virtual box to test with.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: