Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP not able to join locally available WLC

Hi All,

i have a scenario where the WAP 3800 is not joining the WLC available locally within the building but goes and joins the WLC available over the WAN link on HQ Office. 

when i check the LAP i see it sending the discover request and gets the response from local WLC, then it performs the DNS lookup for the CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.local-domain which is set to the HQ WLC, we have a comman DNS server so cannot have a Duplicate CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.local-domain entry.

my DHCP option 43 is set for the local WLC.

can anyone please help on getting this resolved.

we need to get all the AP's directly register to Local WLC.

Thanks,

Sudhir Mirajkar 

4 Replies 4

Juan Ibañez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @mirajkar.sudhir1 

What is the code version of Local WLC? and do you have any logs from AP or WLC, if yes please attach.

Other option to force attach AP to WLC is configure in AP CLI the WLC name and WLC IP Adress.

capwap ap primary-base <controller-name> <controller-ip-address>

example: capwap ap primary-base wlc-5520 209.165.200.224

Keep in mind that the minimun code version of 3800 AP is 8.2.110

Best Regards

I ran the command you suggested and it worked for my 3600 & 3800 WAPs and 5508 WLC on version 8.3.

Thanks so much.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Just to add to Juan's reply, also look at the ap console and or the debug ap join. This will help determine if the AP is trying to join and why its failing.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/119286-lap-notjoin-wlc-tshoot.html
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Console into the AP and reboot.
Post the entire boot-up process.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card