cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP Times Out TFTP Server

D06101957
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to convert two Aironet 1141n access points to autonomous stand-alone units.  I have connected the console cable and I can see the unit giving information in the console window, but I cannot type any commands.  When I try to get the unit to upload the c1140-k9w7-tar.default file by holding the mode button in for 20-30 seconds, it shows it is examining the file, and then states that the connection to the tftp server has timed out.  My windows firewall is off, the interface is configured as 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 and the tftp server is showing that.  What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Dennis                    

16 Replies 16

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you remember to set your base directory to the folder that has the image?

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes.  I read through a number of discussions about this before I even started to try it myself.  I have done the best I can to correct my settings based on the information of others before me.

There are only a few reasons why it would timeout.  Directory not mapped, Windows FW, or possibly WIndows not showing known file extensions.  The last would 'hide' the trailing .tar from you.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Showing file extensions is enabled.  When I look in windows explorer I can see .pdf files, .exe files and everything else.  I have (long ago) unchecked hide file extensions for known file types.  I like to see what I am working with.

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Check the subnet mask, from my experience with the 1231, was 255.255.255.224.

On the TFTP server, enable the logs, so you can see the query for the file default, and by last check if the name of the image doesn´t contain uppercases, it´s case-sensitive.

On my first ugrade of an AP that lost the image due to a network errors in the transmission, I tried the procedure as you mentioned before.

Check the following link, and please rate it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

---

Posted by WebUser Pedro Seabra Ávila from Cisco Support Community App

Where would I set this?  I am using the solar winds tftp server.

When you press the mode button, you can see the AP is looking fof a filename, it this filename same as waht you have named the default filename

Can you ping the AP from the PC

you can also try the command " archive tar /xtract tftp://1.2.3.3/file.tar flash:/"

Thanks

NikhiL

Yes, it is looking for the correct file.  No, I cannot ping.  Here is the console output:

using  eeprom values

WRDTR,CLKTR: 0x83000800 0x40000000

RQDC ,RFDC : 0x80000035 0x00000205

using ÿÿÿÿ ddr static values from serial eeprom

ddr init done

IOS Bootloader - Starting system.

FLASH CHIP:  Numonyx P33

Checking for Over Erased blocks

................................................................................

................................................................................

Xmodem file system is available.

DDR values used from system serial eeprom.

WRDTR,CLKTR: 0x83000800, 0x40000000

RQDC, RFDC : 0x80000035, 0x00000205

PCIE0: link is up.

PCIE0: VC0 is active

PCIE1: link is NOT up.

PCIE1 port 1 not initialized

PCIEx: initialization done

flashfs[0]: 3 files, 2 directories

flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories

flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 32385024

flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 2264064

flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 30120960

flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 18 seconds.

Reading cookie from system serial eeprom...Done

Base Ethernet MAC address: c4:64:13:11:4c:90

Ethernet speed is 100 Mb - FULL duplex

button pressed for 20 seconds

process_config_recovery: set IP address and config to default 10.0.0.1

process_config_recovery: image recovery

image_recovery: Download default IOS tar image tftp://255.255.255.255/c1140-k9w7

-tar.default

examining image...

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/c1140-k9w7-tar.default (connection timed out)

ap:

The only thing I see being different, and I grant it is a big difference, is that it is looking for the file on the broadcast address.  But I have set the address for the tftp server to be 10.0.0.2.

"connection timed out" normally means something is blocking the transfer from the TFTP client to your WAP.

1.  Try a different TFTP client like TFTPd32/TFTPd64; or

2.  Try a different computer.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well if you can't ping then that's your problem. Are you connected directly to your AP, if so, connect it to a switch and put your laptop on the same vlan. Doesn't matter if your ip doesn't match the vlan as your using a static address. Since the ap is defaulted or factory reset, just let the ap boot up normally and then make sure you can ping the ap and the ap can ping your laptop. Go into enable mode the configuration mode:

ap> en
Password: Cisco
ap# archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://10.0.0.2/

The 10.0.0.2 is your laptop.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

D06101957
Level 1
Level 1

Scott, I cannot enter any commands.  I can see the output from the ap on the console window.  But I cannot type anything when I try.  What would cause this?

Can you post some screen shots. I don't know what you mean. If the SOS are autonomous you should be able to type commands. You sure they haven't been converted already. You can issue a show version, but you can't enter anything correct?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott, they are NOT autonomous.  I want to convert them to autonomous.  This is what I am havving problems with.  I cannot enter commands, and I do not know if that is from the aps being lightweight or some problem with my connection.  Yes, I am consoling into the ap.  I can see the readout but I cannot do anything.  What would you like screenshots of?

Just making sure. If you can't type anything from the console, then maybe its your connection. Could be anything... from your usb to serial, the setting not set to 8 none 1 with no flow control. Try a different PC or AP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: