cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP571 - 5G and 2G wireless networks - 2G works but 5G does not

Jean Milne
Level 1
Level 1

UPDATED:  I have still not been able to resolve this (even after buying an 802.11at PoE supply.  It's driving me nuts...  If anyone can give me a nudge in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

I have a WAP571, a HP 2350-24G-PoEP and two laptops set up in a very simple VLAN/WIFI experiment.

Experiment-no-ASA.jpg

Two laptops both connected to the AP on GUEST-5G can ping each other.

BUT, they can't ping the default gateway (192.168.60.1) or other wired devices on the 192.168.60.0 subnet.

Any device connected to the AP on GUEST-2G can ping the default gateway just fine.

I am at a total loss here.

When Test Laptop 1 is connected to GUEST-5G, the MAC addresses are correctly mapped to the right ports and VLANs on the switch.  Test Laptop 2 has Test Laptop 1 in its ARP table.  But, Test Laptop 1 has nothing for Test Laptop 2.

Below are screen shots of the AP configuration.AP-VLANs.png

AP-WirelessNetworks-5G.png

AP-WirelessNetworks-2G.png

I can't see any difference between GUEST-5G and GUEST-2G apart from the fact that they are 2G and 5G.

I was getting a warning about 5G not being supported by the PoE:

AP-PoE-Warning.PNG

BUT, we bought a better PoE supply and I can see in the web management that the AP is using 802.11at.

I cannot for the life of me work out why this is happening or even what other tests to do....?

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

as you are using HP Procurve, maybe CDP is an issue here?

The Procurve may not support CDP (Cisco proprietary, but HP and Cisco have some history together).

If so the negotiation of inline power works differently and this may just be a warning.

Troubleshooting Power over Ethernet (PoE)

Power over Ethernet (PoE) Power Requirements FAQ

Same goes when using an external PoE injector, CDP won't help in negotiating inline power.

Check compatibility.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card